Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 240 CPU Cooler Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AC has a web store if you don't mind paying the extra $10 to order direct. And Newegg will probably be around in two years as well, but their direct sale is also $10 extra. So I guess that means "pay $10 extra for warranty assurance".

If you're really concerned about lower-priced sellers, the cooler is probably nice enough to pay for that.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
Even only using two fans still leaves the unit about a half inch thicker than its rivals, which can be a pain. I have the x61 Kraken, and its juuuust thin enough not to interfere with my things. That half an inch would totally screw me.

Eggz

Distinguished
Shouldn't it be illegal to call these CPU cooler things like "freezer," "chili," "frozen," "cold," etc. unless they actually produce cold like a refrigerator does? All of these coolers are actually warm at about 100F when operating, even if they do a very good job of cooling the CPU like this unit does.

LookItsRain

Distinguished

Its part of their naming scheme, if your stupid enough to take the name 100% literally, well, should it be illegal to be that stupid in the first place?.

As a long time high end air cooler builder, I found the results of the exhaust vs. intake temp setup interesting even though they were only a degree apart. It reminded me of the minor but noticeable temp performance difference when I tested my 4690K build with my Antec Nine Hundred case side door off vs. side door on (runs cooler with the side door on and sealed).

I believe it has something to do with that dude named Bernoulli. ;)

Luyuan20

Commendable
May 9, 2016
Is something like this worth the extra cost over the CM Hyper 212 EVO? And in the same price range, how does this compare to the Noctua D15? The Noctua D15 is $109 and Arctic 240mm is $110 in Canada. CM 212 EVO is $45, this is the cooler I currently have.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
7-8C cooler than the D15, I don't think the 212 EVO would even achieve useful readings in this particular test system

delta5

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Exhaust doesn't always make more sense. The manufacturer provides a configuration that will cover a wide range of setups. I'd like to see it tested as an exhaust vs intake with two AMD video cards or the older Nvidia cards; with stress test going on for the cpu and video cards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm pretty sure that there's a clue in the article that mounting it on the front panel as an intake makes the most sense, though putting it there could require builders to add a fan over the voltage regulator.

I have a big question about this.
I have this cooler (it is great), but the schematics ask for the pump to be installed with the Arctic logo upside down (unlike this review).
Is there any reason for this? Any problem if I don't install it that way?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No worries, you'll be fine.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
If the tubes/hoses can be detached then put back in place my case could mount it on the outside top having a CM HAF 912 there are fitments allowing entry from the rear for those tubes/hoses if not the 120mm version may be the ticket and it would be nice to see a review of that option.

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Would this fit on a Cooler Master Masterbox 3 Lite? Pretty sure the HDD cage would need to be removed, but I don't know if there is enough clearance to the motherboard.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It doesn't look like it will fit, but if you have the case you can measure for clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.