Question Arctic Freezer 280 rev4

Oct 10, 2021
So I bought an arctic freezer 280 for my NZXT H710. I cant fit it at the top. Like the case is not closing with the top panel.
Also, the rpm for the fans says it reaches 1700 rpm. On motherboard fan software it shows me the max 1300 rpm only.

What possibly might be wrong?

Where should I place the cooler inside the case ?

How to solve the rpm issue and get 1700 rpm instead of 1300 as max ?

So I bought an arctic freezer 280 for my NZXT H710. I cant fit it at the top. Like the case is not closing with the top panel.
Also, the rpm for the fans says it reaches 1700 rpm. On motherboard fan software it shows me the max 1300 rpm only.

What possibly might be wrong?

Where should I place the cooler inside the case ?

How to solve the rpm issue and get 1700 rpm instead of 1300 as max ?
That case doesn't support top and front 280 radiators or 140'mmfans, Try to exchange for a 240 or 360 AIO. They have 120mm fans.

Oct 10, 2021
If someone has a clue please tell me.

I did ask Arctic company and they said maybe because it is mounted to the radiator so the max speed reaches 1300 rpm. If i remove the fans from the radiator and motherboard and test them separately so they reach 1700 rpm according to them.

I cant do such a test. I honestly think that they should reach 1700 even when they are mounted.

Feb 19, 2022

I did ask Arctic company and they said maybe because it is mounted to the radiator so the max speed reaches 1300 rpm. If i remove the fans from the radiator and motherboard and test them separately so they reach 1700 rpm according to them.

I cant do such a test. I honestly think that they should reach 1700 even when they are mounted.
What is the RPM when you set 0%? Mine report 300rpm for 0% and 1500 rpm for 100%.

Oct 10, 2021

Well, the software shows me 0 RPM when It is at 0.

Anyway to update this thread I did few days ago a small change to the way I use the cooler. I did connect the cooler fans in a separate cable to CPU FAN . Then I did connect the PUMP cable to CPU OPT.
There is a better option where to connect the PUMP to a PUMP socket on the motherboard but in my case, it is far away at the bottom of my motherboard.

This solution force the PUMP to have 100% speed all the time and My fan's RPM raised to 1472 RPM at 100%.

The CPU temperatures are a bit better but still while doing nothing around 40C. My final expectation about this might be due to the location of my PC . I still need to do further testing when I have time.

I'm regretting using the arctic freezer 280 as I tried NZXT Kraken x53 240 and gave CPU TEMP at 30c without gaming. Even though the price range of difference is not that big. 40 bucks more.

Feb 19, 2022
Here is my update. I m running 12600 and with LGA1700 mounting kit I run 28 degrees C idle. Yesterday, I run 45 degrees C with LGA1200 (I didn't have LGA1700 yet). I have applied a very thin layer of MX-4 thermal paste, not sure if it makes a difference. All screws are very tight.

Oct 10, 2021
Intel core I7 11700k

I want to thank you. Discussing things with you did move me the right way. I did remove the Pump spread the paste correctly above the CPU and placed it back. Now im have 30¬34C on idle and 40C when I open a browser.
15C improvement.

Reasons can be I did not mount it right above the CPU and the second reason is that the paste is not spread right . To spread it right I did read in another forum that someone used plastic on the tip of his fingers to spread it above
the CPU and this method are just perfect.

Reactions: ActicArctic
Mar 17, 2022
Great thread. Same challenges here so I am going to repaste. Question... did you ever figure out why the Arctic Freezer 280 could not get to 1700rpm? I have the same issue, myArctic 2x 140mm fans max out at 1480 rpm. MB is a Gigabyte B550i w/AMD 5900X

Feb 19, 2022
What is the RPM when you set 0%? Mine report 300rpm for 0% and 1500 rpm for 100%.
Here is the visual of my comment, using Argus monitor. AIO connected to CPUFAN.
v1Gct8f.png

Icl47vl.png

Oct 10, 2021
I have the H710 and Arctic freezer 280 revs 4.
My CPU is i7 11700k 5.0Mhz max turbo . RTX 3070 Ti OC. Motherboard Z590 aorus elite AX
CPU is top-mounted and works as exhaust just like the way you build it in your case.

The problem for me is that the CPU reaches 88C while playing some games such as warzone, Battlefield, etc. I tested many things trying to solve this but still, I can satisfy myself so I'm here for help.

Here is what I did so far for solutions to reduce the CPU temperature :
  • Connect the pump to the CPU fan and the radiator fans in a different split into CPU OPT. Both running PWM. I did not see much of a difference but I believe this helps to give full power to both fans and pump.
  • The second solution was to remove the glass cover and give it fresh air. I saw very good temperatures after doing this as it did drop by 10 degrees. The problem is the case location for me is not that great and I can't keep the glass open this is why I did revert what I did for this solution.
  • In the end, I did reduce the processor speed to 4.4Mhz and I found good temperatures overall while gaming and it never crossed 80C again. This is a temp solution.
-Note that room temprature is 23C.
-I did recheck the way I put thermal paste a lot. I also tried to recheck if it's mounted well on the CPU or not and I see nothing wrong.
  • software I used to check temps are Hwinfo, and MSI afterburner.
  • GPU temperatures are around 62C.
  • CPU settings are default in bios. Max turbo is enabled and multi-core enhancement is on Auto.
Is everything fine in my situation? Is it ok for the CPU to reach 88c while gaming?
What possibly can be the issue that the CPU is rising so high ? is it because of the cooler not being able to handle the cpu high temps ?

Also I still not able to figure out why the raddiator fans are not reaching 1700 RPM.
Is there a way to know the RPM speed for the pump ?

One of the informations that I figured out recently is that the pump has its own controller build inside and it pick the speed by it self and this is why it need to be connected to CPU FAN to have more control over the CPU temps.

This is all what I have in one reply and I hope to find more information regarding this.

Last edited:
My CPU is i7 11700k 5.0Mhz max turbo . RTX 3070 Ti OC. Motherboard Z590 aorus elite AX
CPU is top-mounted and works as exhaust just like the way you build it in your case.

The problem for me is that the CPU reaches 88C while playing some games such as warzone, Battlefield, etc. I tested many things trying to solve this but still, I can satisfy myself so I'm here for help.

• Connect the pump to the CPU fan and the radiator fans in a different split into CPU OPT. Both running PWM. I did not see much of a difference but I believe this helps to give full power to both fans and pump.
  • The second solution was to remove the glass cover and give it fresh air. I saw very good temperatures after doing this as it did drop by 10 degrees. The problem is the case location for me is not that great and I can't keep the glass open this is why I did revert what I did for this solution.
  • In the end, I did reduce the processor speed to 4.4Mhz and I found good temperatures overall while gaming and it never crossed 80C again. This is a temp solution.
-I did recheck the way I put thermal paste a lot. I also tried to recheck if it's mounted well on the CPU or not and I see nothing wrong.
  • CPU settings are default in bios. Max turbo is enabled and multi-core enhancement is on Auto.
Is everything fine in my situation? Is it ok for the CPU to reach 88c while gaming?
What possibly can be the issue that the CPU is rising so high ? is it because of the cooler not being able to handle the cpu high temps ?

Also I still not able to figure out why the raddiator fans are not reaching 1700 RPM.

One of the informations that I figured out recently is that the pump has its own controller build inside and it pick the speed by it self and this is why it need to be connected to CPU FAN to have more control over the CPU temps.

This is all what I have in one reply and I hope to find more information regarding this.
Pump has no rpm sensor nor is adjustable for speed, no matter what it's connected to as long as it gets 12v.
Only fans are adjustable. They are PWM so have to make sure that CPU_FAN header is set appropriately.
88c is not too hot for that otherwise hot processor.

Feb 19, 2022

IMHO, 88 is way too much while gaming. My CPU 12600 never crosses 50 mark, GPU sits at 60-70 range on heavy gaming. My CPU radiator is intake (side panel), I have 2 top exhaust fans and 2 bottoms as intake, for fresh air for the GPU.

Try to switch your radiator to the front panel, so you don't cool down your CPU with the hot air that comes from GPU. Have extra bottom intake fans for GPU cooling. Make sure to have exhaust fans as well.

See if this scenario works for you.

Oct 10, 2021
It is hard unless I change the whole NZXT H710 case. Also, the radiator is so big that I'm not even sure that it can fit in front .

So I'm starting to believe that this high temperature is just because of the case.
The airflow is bad.