News Arctic Launches Freezer 50: AMD’s Ryzen 5000 CPUs Are Getting Threadripper-Style Cooler

jpe1701

Honorable
I hope this works well. I was looking at the cooler master cooler that they made for am4 that was like the wraith ripper but the cooling performance was terrible next to my aio.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If Arctic sends me a unit to test, I can compare. I only have an i9 and TR4 system, nothing Ryzen-specific, but it looks like this will support AMD and Intel sockets, so it can certainly be compared directly with a D15, which I will be re-testing on the new 10850k platform.

Reactions: Phaaze88

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
If Arctic sends me a unit to test, I can compare. I only have an i9 and TR4 system, nothing Ryzen-specific, but it looks like this will support AMD and Intel sockets, so it can certainly be compared directly with a D15, which I will be re-testing on the new 10850k platform.

Please retest for both TR4 and i9 . we need to know how it performs on high TDP CPU as well

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yes but it is not compared against Noctua D15 flagship cooler , I need to know which one is better.

The U14s compared is not two towers design like the D15 and the freezer 50

'Need' is a strong usage of the term, here.

Also, these were all 'Threadripper-only' coolers compared - this isn't a cross-platform comparison of these coolers with others which have mounting flexibility for other sockets. TR4/TRX4 and peer coolers were covered specifically with the Freezer 50 TR4 model.

Sep 13, 2020
Yes but it is not compared against Noctua D15 flagship cooler , I need to know which one is better.

The U14s compared is not two towers design like the D15 and the freezer 50

I own a Noctua NH D-15 and it is a beast, since the Noctua D15 has better performance than the Dark Rock 4 and better performance than the U14, both of which beat the Arctic Freezer 50 you already got your answer. What speaks for the Freezer 50 is its price and that's it.

Reactions: nofanneeded

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I’d be interested in seeing a comparison against this against a few other air coolers. I’m still looking into a smoothing other options to deal with the ridiculous fan ramp up on my 3700x stock cooler. If that doesn’t work a good overkill and quite fan will be it’s replacement. Especially if I step up to a higher TDP chip.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
nofanneeded/Homer J

i have one of these on a 3900x, 3600x, and 2 lga 1366 cpus, and the one before it, NH-D14 se2011 on a 5930k the are all very good coolers. any other cpus i get, if the d15 supports it, i will put one on it as well.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I'm a bit sceptic. Not that this is going to be a bad performer in absolute terms, but that the noise could be worse than required for the given heatsink:
  • Having two fans usually adds more noise than cooling performance compared to a single fan.
  • Having two fans of different size just makes that matter worse, because it might end up with additional interference noise.

I expect that tests will tell if I'm right to worry...

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
i have both fans on the D15 set to max, and they are still quiet compared to the video card fans, and 2 of the case fans i have.