[SOLVED] Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 for i9-9900k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased an i9-9900k. My original intent was to pair it with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler. I came across this the other day, and decided to purchase the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO instead. Page 5 of the review is "Performance and Comparisons".

What do you guys think of Kitguru in general as a review website? According to the referenced review, the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 is as efficient as (even slightly better) the NH-D15 when cooling an i9-9900k. My case is a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2. After viewing this (go to the 10 minute mark in the video) I intend to put the AIO in the front of the case.

Let me know what you guys think.

Solution
I came across this the other day, and decided to purchase the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO instead.
Just making sure you know that those temperature results for those tests are deltaT over ambient, and not actual temperature.

Kitguru is legit.(y)

After viewing this (go to the 10 minute mark in the video) I intend to put the AIO in the front of the case.
There's pros and cons to either placement. It's a pick your poison kind of thing.
A)Front mount should yield slightly lower cpu thermals VS top mount, but slightly higher gpu thermals. Also, vertical mounted rad presents another issue: the side the tubing enters the unit from.
Ideally, vertical radiator should have the tubing entering it from the bottom...
I recently purchased an i9-9900k. My original intent was to pair it with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler. I came across this the other day, and decided to purchase the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO instead. Page 5 of the review is "Performance and Comparisons".

What do you guys think of Kitguru in general as a review website? According to the referenced review, the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 is as efficient as (even slightly better) the NH-D15 when cooling an i9-9900k. My case is a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2. After viewing this (go to the 10 minute mark in the video) I intend to put the AIO in the front of the case.

Let me know what you guys think.

KitGuru is a reliable source.

Steve @ Gamers Nexus tested the 280 and 360 versions. They are at the top of his charts. They are constantly sold out on Amazon because of this.

I personally purchased the 280 version and my Ryzen 3900X using PBO isn't going above 85C on Prime 95 and AIDA64 after 2 hours testing. Gaming doesn't go above 65C.

That said I understand the asetek pumps are better suited for Intel processors, while the custom ones created by Artic cooling do well with AMD processors. There's a slight positive concavity on asetek pumps. (slight center bulge works better for center based monolithic cores. I personally found it frustrating to use on my Intel 3770K and AMD 2400g. Getting a good clean mate can be difficult sometimes.)

KitGuru is a reliable source.

Steve @ Gamers Nexus tested the 280 and 360 versions. They are at the top of his charts. They are constantly sold out on Amazon because of this.

I personally purchased the 280 version and my Ryzen 3900X using PBO isn't going above 85C on Prime 95 and AIDA64 after 2 hours testing. Gaming doesn't go above 65C.

That said I understand the asetek pumps are better suited for Intel processors, while the custom ones created by Artic cooling do well with AMD processors. There's a slight positive concavity on asetek pumps. (slight center bulge works better for center based monolithic cores.)
I would have gone with the 280 but it won't fit in my case.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I came across this the other day, and decided to purchase the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO instead.
Just making sure you know that those temperature results for those tests are deltaT over ambient, and not actual temperature.

Kitguru is legit.(y)

After viewing this (go to the 10 minute mark in the video) I intend to put the AIO in the front of the case.
There's pros and cons to either placement. It's a pick your poison kind of thing.
A)Front mount should yield slightly lower cpu thermals VS top mount, but slightly higher gpu thermals. Also, vertical mounted rad presents another issue: the side the tubing enters the unit from.
Ideally, vertical radiator should have the tubing entering it from the bottom. It allows the pump to push the air pockets into the radiator, after which they'll rise and get stuck there, which is ideal, as the pump should stay wet.
Tubing from the top is worse for longevity and noise, as the air pockets tend to flow back and forth between the pump and radiator.

B)Top mount should yield slightly higher cpu thermals VS front mount, but slightly lower gpu thermals.

I agree that for overclocking, it's not enough. 240mm doesn't quite cut it - even if this unit's radiator is a little larger than normal, as the weaknesses of AIOs/CLCs is the size of the base plate's copper fins and the liquid flow rate.
You'll still need to stress test - can't just copy some one else's settings and be done with it - the cpu will still get rather toasty.

https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Arc-Midi-R2-Product-Sheet-0.38-MB.pdf
240mm max... welp, nothing you can do about that.

Solution

Kitguru is legit.(y)

Ideally, vertical radiator should have the tubing entering it from the bottom. It allows the pump to push the air pockets into the radiator, after which they'll rise and get stuck there, which is ideal, as the pump should stay wet.
Tubing from the top is worse for longevity and noise, as the air pockets tend to flow back and forth between the pump and radiator.

B)Top mount should yield slightly higher cpu thermals VS front mount, but slightly lower gpu thermals.

I agree that for overclocking, it's not enough. 240mm doesn't quite cut it - even if this unit's radiator is a little larger than normal, as the weaknesses of AIOs/CLCs is the size of the base plate's copper fins and the liquid flow rate.
You'll still need to stress test - can't just copy some one else's settings and be done with it - the cpu will still get rather toasty.

https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Arc-Midi-R2-Product-Sheet-0.38-MB.pdf
240mm max... welp, nothing you can do about that.
Interesting comment about the tubing orientation for the vertical mount. I'll see if the tubing is long enough for the bottom orientation.

I installed the i9-9900k and the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 today. Everything is working. Temps at idle are reasonable.
I was a bit disappointed I couldn't install the AIO in the front of my case in 'push' fashion, I had to install it in 'pull' fashion with the radiator connected to the front grill of my case and the fans on the other side of the radiator. The screws aren't long enough to go through the eye in the front of may case, then through the fan, and then into the radiator. They're only long enough to go through eyelets in the fan and into the radiator.

I'm going to run some stress tests to see how hot my CPU gets with everything configured that way it is now.

I may end up putting the AIO in the top of my case with the fans pushing the inside air my case through the radiator and out of the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.