Question Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280

Soni1406

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
Hey everyone,

I have moved from Arctic freezer 34 eSports to Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280, expecting lower temps. It's mounted on a Ryzen 3600 and the temps are actually higher by 1-2 degrees hitting around 80C under AIDA64 stability test.

I thought i didn't mount it properly or the paste was not applied in a proper way so I bought a new Arctic MX-5 paste and reapplied but the results were the same.
Are these normal temps for an AIO on such a weak CPU compared to a really small air cooler?

Hey everyone,

I have moved from Arctic freezer 34 eSports to Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280, expecting lower temps. It's mounted on a Ryzen 3600 and the temps are actually higher by 1-2 degrees hitting around 80C under AIDA64 stability test.

I thought i didn't mount it properly or the paste was not applied in a proper way so I bought a new Arctic MX-5 paste and reapplied but the results were the same.
Are these normal temps for an AIO on such a weak CPU compared to a really small air cooler?

Temps can be also lowered by decreasing Core voltage and I would expect 80C from AIDA64 to be normal under load. AIDA64 will push your system harder than most apps and gaming. Many Ryzen processors tend to overvault as a default setting in Bios. You will find the AIO water cooler will maintain better cooling for sustained periods. 80C is not high considering T/Jmax is 95C.

There are also other ways of reducing core temp and one is by disabling Boost frequency and setting an all core Overclock.
You have nothing to be concerned with and are using a good TIM.
Enjoy your system.

Soni1406

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
Rest of the specs:
GPU: RX 580
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz 32GB
CASE: NZXT H510

Regarding the setup: Liquid freezer II 280mm is not supposed to go inside NZXT H510. But with a few modifications it fits:
  1. I had to remove the bar that hides the cables
  2. I had to remove the fans and place them in a push config drawing air from front of the case and blowing it inside the case through the radiator. The other two fans blow the hot air out of the case. You can see the setup on this picture: NZXT H510 w/Arctic Freezer II 280 - Imgur
The problem I have with this is when the PC is under full load i don't feel the air getting pushed through the radiator when I place my hand on it. I don't have much experience with AIO's so I don't know if that should be the case.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Uh-huh.
Fans sandwiched between 2 'walls'. The front panel of the H510 is not AIO friendly - to the 240 and 280mm models, at least.
Also... it looks like the PC is placed against a wall? Is the narrow side vent being blocked? If so, that just leaves the even narrower bottom-front vent for air intake.

Soni1406

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
That picture is just a reference. Fan has a clear intake. But if someone has an AIO can you confirm that the air goes through the radiator? Can you actually feel it when you place your hand on it?

BTW i retested the stability test without FPU, just CPU now and the temps were 67C. That sound reasonable I guess.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm using 2 AIOs in a CM H500P Mesh - unless you meant someone using an AIO in another NZXT H500 - and yes, I can feel it when I place my hand behind them.

The less air resistance there is present, the better AIOs will do. When resistance is heavy, the fans need to be ran at higher rpm to be on par with setups that have less resistance before them.
It's less of an issue with an tower air cooler, because they sit near the middle of most PCs.

The radiator itself is a source of air resistance + the H510 with its solid front panel and narrow side and bottom-front vents = a good bit of the AIO's cooling potential at lower rpm is gone.

FPU only is the only one on AIDA that need be checked. Cpu only isn't very heavy, and neither is the combo of fpu+cpu+cache.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't feel the air getting pushed through the radiator. Could that maybe be the problem?
Only a part of the puzzle.
You made sure the arrow printed on the fans are aimed inside the PC? Ignore the arrow displaying what direction the fan spins - that one doesn't matter - it's the other one, pointing either left or right.
You want it pointed towards the inside the PC.