[SOLVED] Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 for Corsair 570x front

victortsoi

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2013
Please don't spam the forum, keep it to 1 thread.
So I bought an ALF II 360 for my Corsair 570x, intending to front mount.
  • Should I put the radiator behind the 3 front fans, so there are 6 fans in front on intake, or should I remove those fans and just have the radiator act as front intake case fans?
  • I am worried that if the ALF II works as advertised, and the CPU is very cool, the fans wont work hard enough to cool the entire case and say, my GPU will be hotter than it should be. I don't know what to do since I heard the PWM controller for the ALF Fans don't really lend themselves to setting a fan curve separate from the pump.
Thanks!

Solution
Should I sandwich the radiator in such a way that fan->radiator->fan-> outside of case? This would mean that the case fans intake, while the fans on the other side of the radiator push out into the case. I don't know if this is even possible with the parts listed.
it's called a push \ pull configuration.

the 570x has a solid glass front panel.
so to mount anything on the "outside" would mean removing this panel and the mesh filter behind it.

if you haven't purchased it yet or are still inside the return window,
you may want to go with something else which doesn't require this type of modding
or better yet something that can fit the 360mm radiator in the top panel for exhausting.

for a push \ pull setup in the front of this case...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Should I put the radiator behind the 3 front fans, so there are 6 fans in front on intake, or should I remove those fans and just have the radiator act as front intake case fans?
Ideally, if going for any kind of push pull sandwich, the fans should be the same.
Hmm, can't move the LF2 360 anywhere else... relocate the SP120 fans.

I don't know what to do since I heard the PWM controller for the ALF Fans don't really lend themselves to setting a fan curve separate from the pump.
Nothing a couple of splitters and free mobo headers can't fix if you want more control...

victortsoi

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2013
Ideally, if going for any kind of push pull sandwich, the fans should be the same.
Hmm, can't move the LF2 360 anywhere else... relocate the SP120 fans.

Nothing a couple of splitters and free mobo headers can't fix if you want more control...

Thanks, my idea (without having tested it yet) would be to have the front case fans and the radiator acting as intake, so double intake. Do you think thats a bad idea?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Bad idea? No. Impractical, perhaps.
Using different fans in a sandwich leads to turbulence, or whirring/whooshing due to the different fan profiles.

It also doesn't really do anything, except with like, 60mm thick radiators. I tried it for a bit with 6x NF-F12s on a Celsius S36, front intake in a H500P Mesh... did away with half the fans afterwards.

victortsoi

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2013
Hello! So I am building a ryzen system with an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 MM (Front Mounted) for the 570x corsair case.
  • Should I sandwich the radiator in such a way that fan->radiator->fan-> outside of case? This would mean that the case fans intake, while the fans on the other side of the radiator push out into the case. I don't know if this is even possible with the parts listed. If not, just intake .
  • What fans should I get for top (2x 140) and rear (1 x 120mm) exhaust? I'm looking at Noctua fans because they seem to be great and have much higher RPM than competitors, but not sure about voltages etc, and there seem to be many variations.
  • Any recommendations on replacing the front case fans (3x 120mm)?
I am really confused about the above questions, and appreciate any help.

Should I sandwich the radiator in such a way that fan->radiator->fan-> outside of case? This would mean that the case fans intake, while the fans on the other side of the radiator push out into the case. I don't know if this is even possible with the parts listed.

so to mount anything on the "outside" would mean removing this panel and the mesh filter behind it.

you may want to go with something else which doesn't require this type of modding
or better yet something that can fit the 360mm radiator in the top panel for exhausting.

for a push \ pull setup in the front of this case you have to attach the push fans on the front panel,
have the radiator attached on the inside of them,
and then the pull fans attached to the radiator.
11-139-087-V22.jpg

similar to what Corsair shows here, but with another layer of fans on the inside of the radiator.

you should consider that when you are using this type of radiator placement that you are dumping all of the warmed air from your CPU back into the case and potentially causing higher temperatures on all other components.
when the heated air is directly exhausted, this isn't an issue.

What fans should I get for top (2x 140) and rear (1 x 120mm) exhaust? I'm looking at Noctua fans because they seem to be great and have much higher RPM than competitors, but not sure about voltages etc, and there seem to be many variations.
Any recommendations on replacing the front case fans (3x 120mm)?
the included Corsair fans are the Corsair SP120.
if you want to replace them with something better just compare their specs to find something with higher airflow, higher air pressure, and lower noise.
i always go with be quiet! Silent Wings 3 High-Speed PWM or Noctua NF iPPC.

Reactions: victortsoi
Solution

victortsoi

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2013

for a push \ pull setup in the front of this case you have to attach the push fans on the front panel,
11-139-087-V22.jpg

similar to what Corsair shows here, but with another layer of fans on the inside of the radiator.

you should consider that when you are using this type of radiator placement that you are dumping all of the warmed air from your CPU back into the case and potentially causing higher temperatures on all other components.
when the heated air is directly exhausted, this isn't an issue.

the included Corsair fans are the Corsair SP120.
if you want to replace them with something better just compare their specs to find something with higher airflow, higher air pressure, and lower noise.
i always go with be quiet! Silent Wings 3 High-Speed PWM or Noctua NF iPPC.

Thanks a lot- It was hard to pick a case, and I already have it, for various reasons returning and changing isnt really an option right now. I don't think that doing rad->fan->outside of case would be horrible, but if there is any way to improve the situation I'm curious. Can the 570x sp120mm's be mounted on the other side of the alf ii 360mm using long screws?

Can the 570x sp120mm's be mounted on the other side of the alf ii 360mm using long screws?
the same way the radiator's included fans are attached, just on the opposite side of the radiator.
I don't think that doing rad->fan->outside of case would be horrible, but if there is any way to improve the situation I'm curious.
you do not want to be pushing outside air into the radiator without any dust filter.
it may be relatively easy to clean the majority of dust out of the radiator's fins with canned air & vacuum cleaner attachments,
but it means dismantling the entire setup and any hard to remove residual dust with eventually start to clog airflow.

there would be no benefit to removing the front panels and placing the fans\radiator on the "outside".
you would want to set it up just as the included image shows, only with another layer of fans on the inside of the radiator.

Reactions: victortsoi

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts