[SOLVED] Arctic P14 5pack/Fan Headers

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I'm in process of finishing a build: on a Phanteks P500a (non RGB) only RGB I'm going with is only argb or rgb light strip set I have both, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2, AMD 5600x with a Noctua NH-U12S Heatsink, I've bought a 5 pack of Arctic P14 PWM/PST fans 3x140mm in front & 1xback exhaust & 1x top back exhaust, My question is can I daisy chain the front 3x140mm to 1 fan header and daisy chain the back top&back exhaust to fan header #1, that way I can control the fan curves for the front 3x140mm fans in one/fan curve and same for the exhaust fans, is it safe to put 3 or more fans on one sys_fan header? and is Gigiabyte's APP center any good or should I use it or just go through bios, and also on the light strips I downloaded RGB Fusion, and bought both a set of RGB strip set and a ARGB strip set tried them both on RGB fusion but I see no difference in light reactions. Here is link to B550 Aorus Pro V2 - MB: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-PRO-V2-rev-10#kf Thanks for any ideas or help.

Solution
Your proposed fan arrangement is just fine. A mobo header can supply up to 1.0 A to the total of all its connected fans. Those fans are spec'd at 0.12 A each max, so even three of them is 0.36 A, well less that the mobo capacity.

FYI, any fan header can deal with the speed signal sent back to it from only ONE fan. So any Splitter (and that's what the special daisy-chain connectors do) will send back the speed of ONE fan and ignore all the rest in that group. This has NO impact on ability to control the fan speeds - it just means you will "see" the speed of only ONE fan on each of your two headers you use. However, a fan header ALSO has an important second function - it monitors the fan's speed signal for FAILURE, and warns you if it...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your proposed fan arrangement is just fine. A mobo header can supply up to 1.0 A to the total of all its connected fans. Those fans are spec'd at 0.12 A each max, so even three of them is 0.36 A, well less that the mobo capacity.

FYI, any fan header can deal with the speed signal sent back to it from only ONE fan. So any Splitter (and that's what the special daisy-chain connectors do) will send back the speed of ONE fan and ignore all the rest in that group. This has NO impact on ability to control the fan speeds - it just means you will "see" the speed of only ONE fan on each of your two headers you use. However, a fan header ALSO has an important second function - it monitors the fan's speed signal for FAILURE, and warns you if it gets no speed signal. When you use a Splitter the header cannot monitor ALL of the fans, so from time to time YOU shuld look to verify they all are still working.

Solution

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I'm in process of finishing a build: on a Phanteks P500a (non RGB) only RGB I'm going with is only argb or rgb light strip set I have both, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2, AMD 5600x with a Noctua NH-U12S Heatsink, I've bought a 5 pack of Arctic P14 PWM/PST fans 3x140mm in front & 1xback exhaust & 1x top back exhaust, My question is can I daisy chain the front 3x140mm to 1 fan header and daisy chain the back top&back exhaust to fan header #1, that way I can control the fan curves for the front 3x140mm fans in one/fan curve and same for the exhaust fans, is it safe to put 3 or more fans on one sys_fan header? and is Gigiabyte's APP center any good or should I use it or just go through bios, and also on the light strips I downloaded RGB Fusion, and bought both a set of RGB strip set and a ARGB strip set tried them both on RGB fusion but I see no difference in light reactions. Here is link to B550 Aorus Pro V2 - MB: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-PRO-V2-rev-10#kf Thanks for any ideas or help.

It's safe, considering the P14s only take .15A each. In theory, you can daisy chain 6 of them to one fan header and it'll be fine. Much too close to comfort in practice IMO. If you want to be extra safe, get a powered fan hub. Although I do realize that sounds stupid when you have fans with daisy chain feature.

You can tie fans to the same control even across headers. Set up a fan curve, then select which fan headers the curve will apply. I myself run a pair of hubs for the 2 headers present on my board --same fan curve most of the time, a less aggressive one when I'm testing fans that are noticeably louder than my other fans.

Reactions: Geezer760

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
It's safe, considering the P14s only take .15A each. In theory, you can daisy chain 6 of them to one fan header and it'll be fine. Much too close to comfort in practice IMO. If you want to be extra safe, get a powered fan hub. Although I do realize that sounds stupid when you have fans with daisy chain feature.

You can tie fans to the same control even across headers. Set up a fan curve, then select which fan headers the curve will apply. I myself run a pair of hubs for the 2 headers present on my board --same fan curve most of the time, a less aggressive one when I'm testing fans that are noticeably louder than my other fans.
Thank you for the info, I know this MB has plenty of Fan headers, to individually connect them all, but it seems more sensible to connect the front 3 fans and set up one fan curve for those 3 at same curve instead of setting 3 individual fan curves for each fan in the Bios.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Thank you for the info, I know this MB has plenty of Fan headers, to individually connect them all, but it seems more sensible to connect the front 3 fans and set up one fan curve for those 3 at same curve instead of setting 3 individual fan curves for each fan in the Bios.

It is, though you can just set a fan curve on one header then tie it to other fans. On my GB board, I can apply one curve to both of my SYS_FAN and CPU_FAN. The other guy in this forum with Asus board said his board doesn't have that feature, but given we have the same brand it should be there.

Reactions: Geezer760

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
It is, though you can just set a fan curve on one header then tie it to other fans. On my GB board, I can apply one curve to both of my SYS_FAN and CPU_FAN. The other guy in this forum with Asus board said his board doesn't have that feature, but given we have the same brand it should be there.
Yeah, I did set up my front 3x140mm to one Sys_fan#2 header, and the 2 Exhaust back & Top/back 140mm to sys_fan#1 I just set those up as PWM for now no manual fan, but I did set a fan curve for the CPU fan, system is running at desktop/idle @ 36c-37c, so far I have not installed any programs, or games yet, only running my 500gb NVME m.2 with only Win 10 pro, I still need to connect my 1TB ssd for games only and my 2TB HD for other stuff, but the system is running quiet, will have to see what temps I get once I start gaming.