Hi
I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with a Prescott 2.8 with the stock Intel
heatsink/fan installed with the supplied thermal pad.
I am thinking of removing the H/F, cleaning off the old thermal pad applying
Arctic Silver 5 and reinstalling. ( Arctic Silver has a cleaning kit of two
solutions that work well )
Has anyone removed the stock Intel H/S?
Is it difficult to remove?
How much of the thermal pad has transferred to the CPU if any?
I am leery of cleaning the CPU in its socket, but I am also leery of taking
it out to clean it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Ken'

I have removed thermal pads with Varsol (odorless paint thinner).
Afterwards carefully clean the surfaces - with the same product,
methyl alcohol or acetone (preferably the latter two).

dJ6dnRRHE-NBY3nfRVn-1Q@rogers.com...

"Natéag" <gaetanfo@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>I have removed thermal pads with Varsol (odorless paint thinner).
> Afterwards carefully clean the surfaces - with the same product,
> methyl alcohol or acetone (preferably the latter two).
>
> "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
> dJ6dnRRHE-NBY3nfRVn-1Q@rogers.com...
>> Hi
>> I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with a Prescott 2.8 with the stock Intel
>> heatsink/fan installed with the supplied thermal pad.
>> I am thinking of removing the H/F, cleaning off the old thermal pad
>> applying Arctic Silver 5 and reinstalling. ( Arctic Silver has a cleaning
>> kit of two solutions that work well )
>> Has anyone removed the stock Intel H/S?
>> Is it difficult to remove?
>> How much of the thermal pad has transferred to the CPU if any?
>> I am leery of cleaning the CPU in its socket, but I am also leery of
>> taking it out to clean it.
>> Any suggestions?
>> Thanks
>> Ken'

Does any of the thermal pad transfer to the CPU or does it all stay on the
heatsink?
Ken'

Ed

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:17:13 -0400, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:

>"Natéag" <gaetanfo@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>>I have removed thermal pads with Varsol (odorless paint thinner).
>> Afterwards carefully clean the surfaces - with the same product,
>> methyl alcohol or acetone (preferably the latter two).
>>
>> "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> dJ6dnRRHE-NBY3nfRVn-1Q@rogers.com...
>>> Hi
>>> I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with a Prescott 2.8 with the stock Intel
>>> heatsink/fan installed with the supplied thermal pad.
>>> I am thinking of removing the H/F, cleaning off the old thermal pad
>>> applying Arctic Silver 5 and reinstalling. ( Arctic Silver has a cleaning
>>> kit of two solutions that work well )
>>> Has anyone removed the stock Intel H/S?
>>> Is it difficult to remove?
>>> How much of the thermal pad has transferred to the CPU if any?
>>> I am leery of cleaning the CPU in its socket, but I am also leery of
>>> taking it out to clean it.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>> Thanks
>>> Ken'
>>>

>Does any of the thermal pad transfer to the CPU or does it all stay on the
>heatsink?
>Ken'

Usually the pads sort of melt and end up stuck to both the heatsink and
CPU. Just clean them up real good, don't leave any oily residue on them.
Apply new paste sparingly, or as suggested by the thermal paste/pad OEM
for your setup.

Ed

Ed

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:01:50 -0400, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:

>Hi
>I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with a Prescott 2.8 with the stock Intel
>heatsink/fan installed with the supplied thermal pad.
>I am thinking of removing the H/F, cleaning off the old thermal pad applying
>Arctic Silver 5 and reinstalling. ( Arctic Silver has a cleaning kit of two
>solutions that work well )
>Has anyone removed the stock Intel H/S?
>Is it difficult to remove?
>How much of the thermal pad has transferred to the CPU if any?
>I am leery of cleaning the CPU in its socket, but I am also leery of taking
>it out to clean it.
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks
>Ken'

I've never taken a CPU out of the socket, no need to, just take your
time, use cleaners on rag and wipe gently.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm

"Ed" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:01:50 -0400, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with a Prescott 2.8 with the stock Intel
>>heatsink/fan installed with the supplied thermal pad.
>>I am thinking of removing the H/F, cleaning off the old thermal pad
>>applying
>>Arctic Silver 5 and reinstalling. ( Arctic Silver has a cleaning kit of
>>two
>>solutions that work well )
>>Has anyone removed the stock Intel H/S?
>>Is it difficult to remove?
>>How much of the thermal pad has transferred to the CPU if any?
>>I am leery of cleaning the CPU in its socket, but I am also leery of
>>taking
>>it out to clean it.
>>Any suggestions?
>>Thanks
>>Ken'
>>

> I've never taken a CPU out of the socket, no need to, just take your
> time, use cleaners on rag and wipe gently.
>
> http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm

Ed
Thanks for the help. Just what I wanted to know.
Thanks again
Ken'

On both surfaces.

"Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
GKidneijoqDqn3jfRVn-2Q@rogers.com...

> "Natéag" <gaetanfo@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>>I have removed thermal pads with Varsol (odorless paint thinner).
>> Afterwards carefully clean the surfaces - with the same product,
>> methyl alcohol or acetone (preferably the latter two).
>>
>> "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> dJ6dnRRHE-NBY3nfRVn-1Q@rogers.com...
>>> Hi
>>> I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with a Prescott 2.8 with the stock Intel
>>> heatsink/fan installed with the supplied thermal pad.
>>> I am thinking of removing the H/F, cleaning off the old thermal pad
>>> applying Arctic Silver 5 and reinstalling. ( Arctic Silver has a
>>> cleaning kit of two solutions that work well )
>>> Has anyone removed the stock Intel H/S?
>>> Is it difficult to remove?
>>> How much of the thermal pad has transferred to the CPU if any?
>>> I am leery of cleaning the CPU in its socket, but I am also leery of
>>> taking it out to clean it.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>> Thanks
>>> Ken'
>>>

> Does any of the thermal pad transfer to the CPU or does it all stay on the
> heatsink?
> Ken'

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:01:50 -0400, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:

>Hi
>I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with a Prescott 2.8 with the stock Intel
>heatsink/fan installed with the supplied thermal pad.
>I am thinking of removing the H/F, cleaning off the old thermal pad applying
>Arctic Silver 5 and reinstalling. ( Arctic Silver has a cleaning kit of two
>solutions that work well )
>Has anyone removed the stock Intel H/S?
>Is it difficult to remove?
>How much of the thermal pad has transferred to the CPU if any?
>I am leery of cleaning the CPU in its socket, but I am also leery of taking
>it out to clean it.

I used paint thinners and a clean rag to remove the thermal pad from both heatsink and CPU followed by
cleaning with acetone. Bear in mind that what you see is the CPU cover, not the CPU.

"Old ah heck" <grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:01:50 -0400, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with a Prescott 2.8 with the stock Intel
>>heatsink/fan installed with the supplied thermal pad.
>>I am thinking of removing the H/F, cleaning off the old thermal pad
>>applying
>>Arctic Silver 5 and reinstalling. ( Arctic Silver has a cleaning kit of
>>two
>>solutions that work well )
>>Has anyone removed the stock Intel H/S?
>>Is it difficult to remove?
>>How much of the thermal pad has transferred to the CPU if any?
>>I am leery of cleaning the CPU in its socket, but I am also leery of
>>taking
>>it out to clean it.
>
> I used paint thinners and a clean rag to remove the thermal pad from both
> heatsink and CPU followed by
> cleaning with acetone. Bear in mind that what you see is the CPU cover,
> not the CPU.

Thank you for your reply.
The cover your refereed to I believe is called the heat spreader.
Yes the lists of solvents to use seem to be endless, but I think I would
rather stick to the Arctic Silver cleaners. The reviews that I have read
claim it works just fine.
Thanks again.
Another old ah heck.
Ken'

Ken' wrote:

> The cover your refereed to I believe is called the heat spreader.

Ain't that the truth!

> Another old ah heck.

Welcome to the club. ;)

milleron

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:11:36 -0400, "Natéag" <gaetanfo@videotron.ca>
wrote:

>I have removed thermal pads with Varsol (odorless paint thinner).
>Afterwards carefully clean the surfaces - with the same product,
>methyl alcohol or acetone (preferably the latter two).

I've found that acetone dissolves the previous thermal compound better
than isopropyl alcohol, but it appears to me that it leaves a visible
film. Films can be lethal for heat transfer. My best results have
come from using acetone to dissolve off the old gunk and then
finishing the job with isopropyl alcohol.

>"Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>dJ6dnRRHE-NBY3nfRVn-1Q@rogers.com...
>> Hi
>> I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with a Prescott 2.8 with the stock Intel
>> heatsink/fan installed with the supplied thermal pad.
>> I am thinking of removing the H/F, cleaning off the old thermal pad
>> applying Arctic Silver 5 and reinstalling. ( Arctic Silver has a cleaning
>> kit of two solutions that work well )
>> Has anyone removed the stock Intel H/S?
>> Is it difficult to remove?
>> How much of the thermal pad has transferred to the CPU if any?
>> I am leery of cleaning the CPU in its socket, but I am also leery of
>> taking it out to clean it.
>> Any suggestions?
>> Thanks
>> Ken'

Ron

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:11:36 -0400, "Natéag" <gaetanfo@videotron.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>I have removed thermal pads with Varsol (odorless paint thinner).
>>Afterwards carefully clean the surfaces - with the same product,
>>methyl alcohol or acetone (preferably the latter two).
>
> I've found that acetone dissolves the previous thermal compound better
> than isopropyl alcohol, but it appears to me that it leaves a visible
> film. Films can be lethal for heat transfer. My best results have
> come from using acetone to dissolve off the old gunk and then
> finishing the job with isopropyl alcohol.
>

>>"Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>dJ6dnRRHE-NBY3nfRVn-1Q@rogers.com...
>>> Hi
>>> I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with a Prescott 2.8 with the stock Intel
>>> heatsink/fan installed with the supplied thermal pad.
>>> I am thinking of removing the H/F, cleaning off the old thermal pad
>>> applying Arctic Silver 5 and reinstalling. ( Arctic Silver has a
>>> cleaning
>>> kit of two solutions that work well )
>>> Has anyone removed the stock Intel H/S?
>>> Is it difficult to remove?
>>> How much of the thermal pad has transferred to the CPU if any?
>>> I am leery of cleaning the CPU in its socket, but I am also leery of
>>> taking it out to clean it.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>> Thanks
>>> Ken'
>>>

> Ron

Ron
Arctic Silvers instructions warn about solvents that leave a film be that
can destroy the heat transfer.
That is way I am going to use Arctic Silver cleaner and purifier.
According to reviews I've read it does a good job and is reasonably priced,
$10.00 for the pair of 2 ounce bottles. You only use a few drops of each.
Ken'

milleron

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:46:54 -0400, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:

>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:11:36 -0400, "Natéag" <gaetanfo@videotron.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have removed thermal pads with Varsol (odorless paint thinner).
>>>Afterwards carefully clean the surfaces - with the same product,
>>>methyl alcohol or acetone (preferably the latter two).
>>
>> I've found that acetone dissolves the previous thermal compound better
>> than isopropyl alcohol, but it appears to me that it leaves a visible
>> film. Films can be lethal for heat transfer. My best results have
>> come from using acetone to dissolve off the old gunk and then
>> finishing the job with isopropyl alcohol.
>>

>>>"Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>>dJ6dnRRHE-NBY3nfRVn-1Q@rogers.com...
>>>>

>> Ron
>
>Ron
>Arctic Silvers instructions warn about solvents that leave a film be that
>can destroy the heat transfer.
>That is way I am going to use Arctic Silver cleaner and purifier.
>According to reviews I've read it does a good job and is reasonably priced,
>$10.00 for the pair of 2 ounce bottles. You only use a few drops of each.
>Ken'

That's perfectly fine. Per volume, it's approximately 100 times more
expensive than acetone and isopropyl alcohol. Make no mistake, you
can make a fortune packaging these two very inexpensive chemicals in
small 5ml bottles that you sell for $10. You're probably being taken
to the cleaners (pun intended). However, it's on a very small scale,
and it gets the ingredients to you in a handy package. The buyer
won't go broke, but the seller will wax VERY wealthy.

Ron

>snip>>
>>Ron
>>Arctic Silvers instructions warn about solvents that leave a film be that
>>can destroy the heat transfer.
>>That is way I am going to use Arctic Silver cleaner and purifier.
>>According to reviews I've read it does a good job and is reasonably
>>priced,
>>$10.00 for the pair of 2 ounce bottles. You only use a few drops of each.
>>Ken'
>>

> That's perfectly fine. Per volume, it's approximately 100 times more
> expensive than acetone and isopropyl alcohol. Make no mistake, you
> can make a fortune packaging these two very inexpensive chemicals in
> small 5ml bottles that you sell for $10. You're probably being taken
> to the cleaners (pun intended). However, it's on a very small scale,
> and it gets the ingredients to you in a handy package. The buyer
> won't go broke, but the seller will wax VERY wealthy.
>

> Ron

Ron
Are you telling me that any price is to great for our favorite hobby?
Ken'

milleron

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:45:31 -0400, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:

>>snip>>
>>>Ron
>>>Arctic Silvers instructions warn about solvents that leave a film be that
>>>can destroy the heat transfer.
>>>That is way I am going to use Arctic Silver cleaner and purifier.
>>>According to reviews I've read it does a good job and is reasonably
>>>priced,
>>>$10.00 for the pair of 2 ounce bottles. You only use a few drops of each.
>>>Ken'
>>>

>> That's perfectly fine. Per volume, it's approximately 100 times more
>> expensive than acetone and isopropyl alcohol. Make no mistake, you
>> can make a fortune packaging these two very inexpensive chemicals in
>> small 5ml bottles that you sell for $10. You're probably being taken
>> to the cleaners (pun intended). However, it's on a very small scale,
>> and it gets the ingredients to you in a handy package. The buyer
>> won't go broke, but the seller will wax VERY wealthy.
>>

>> Ron
>

>Ron
>Are you telling me that any price is to great for our favorite hobby?
>Ken'

Nah, just shootin' off my mouth, to be honest. I've considered buying
the Arctic Silver cleaning kit myself.
Ron

>>snip
>>
>>Ron
>>Are you telling me that any price is to great for our favorite hobby?
>>Ken'
>>
> Nah, just shootin' off my mouth, to be honest. I've considered buying
> the Arctic Silver cleaning kit myself.
> Ron

Ron
Well the cleaner in my option was worth the money. It worked well and the
cpu and heatsink looked like new with very little effort.
If the Arctic silver was worth it or not I will have to wait for up to 10
days to see. ( it takes 200 run time hours and several on/off cycles to
reach maximum heat transfer )
As for being overpriced, doesn't that apply to all computer equipment?
Ken'

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:36:53 -0400, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:

>>>snip
>>>
>>>Ron
>>>Are you telling me that any price is to great for our favorite hobby?
>>>Ken'
>>>
>> Nah, just shootin' off my mouth, to be honest. I've considered buying
>> the Arctic Silver cleaning kit myself.
>> Ron
>

>Ron
>Well the cleaner in my option was worth the money. It worked well and the
>cpu and heatsink looked like new with very little effort.
>If the Arctic silver was worth it or not I will have to wait for up to 10
>days to see. ( it takes 200 run time hours and several on/off cycles to
>reach maximum heat transfer )
>As for being overpriced, doesn't that apply to all computer equipment?
>Ken'

You're kidding, of course...