[SOLVED] arctis 3 microphone only works on phone, and not my pc.

Aug 6, 2021
Hello, Ever since I got my arctis 3 in late 2019, I have had plenty of issues using it on my laptop and my homemade PC. The audio works fine and is great, but the mic doesn't work on my pc for some reason. I have a usb mic from maono which works great, but I feel it is wasteful to have a studio-quality mic being sheathed 24/7 in my headset. The original cable does not work, my replacement cable does not work, and neither does a 3.5 to 3.5mm jack one work. I didn't even get all the cables in my box, and I only found that out like 1.5 years after purchase.

Software side of things, I spent a couple days trying to fix the microphone with things from "solved" threads with people who have a similar issue. Whenever I plug the headset in along with a in/out adapter (I mean the one that starts with a female 3.5mm 4-node connector, and ends with 2 branching male 3.5mm connectors which are pink and green respectively), my ears are offended with an absolutely painful electric hum. (this happens ONLY when I also connect the red(mic) part of the adapter to the socket, it works normally when I have only the green(out) one plugged in.) Oh, and did I mention the mic still doesn't work with the adapter in place? I also tried plugging it into the back sockets, but that resulted in me getting no audio in, or out.

Please help, I really want to fix this.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The original cable does not work, my replacement cable does not work, and neither does a 3.5 to 3.5mm jack one work. I didn't even get all the cables in my box, and I only found that out like 1.5 years after purchase.
You might want to contact SteelSeries and show them the proof of your purchase and ask them if they have a replacement set of cables.

Just to be sure, you have the wired version and not the wireless version?

Can you mention the make and model of your laptop(and it's SKU) and the motherboard? Are both on the latest BIOS versions, the latest OS version(assuming they're on Windows 10 for both) and on the latest audio drivers? Source the latest driver for your audio chip from...

Lutfij

Titan

The original cable does not work, my replacement cable does not work, and neither does a 3.5 to 3.5mm jack one work. I didn't even get all the cables in my box, and I only found that out like 1.5 years after purchase.
You might want to contact SteelSeries and show them the proof of your purchase and ask them if they have a replacement set of cables.

Can you mention the make and model of your laptop(and it's SKU) and the motherboard? Are both on the latest BIOS versions, the latest OS version(assuming they're on Windows 10 for both) and on the latest audio drivers? Source the latest driver for your audio chip from your laptop's maker and the motherboard maker's site, respectively, then uninstall driver and manually reinstall the driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution
Aug 6, 2021

Can you mention the make and model of your laptop(and it's SKU) and the motherboard? Are both on the latest BIOS versions, the latest OS version(assuming they're on Windows 10 for both) and on the latest audio drivers? Source the latest driver for your audio chip from your laptop's maker and the motherboard maker's site, respectively, then uninstall driver and manually reinstall the driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
I forgot to keep my proof of purchase bill after buying it, which is my bad. I am running a homemade PC with windows 10 version 21H1 and a tomahawk b450 motherboard. Not sure how to check my audio drivers, I first got them when I built my pc half a year ago, then updated them with bit driver updater and sometimes manually. Will try to do the audio drivers from manufacturer's website thing now, thank you.

Aug 6, 2021
I forgot to keep my proof of purchase bill after buying it, which is my bad. I am running a homemade PC with windows 10 version 21H1 and a tomahawk b450 motherboard. Not sure how to check my audio drivers, I first got them when I built my pc half a year ago, then updated them with bit driver updater and sometimes manually. Will try to do the audio drivers from manufacturer's website thing now, thank you.
Okay, I removed the old realtek drivers, and installed the newest ones from https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/b450-tomahawk-max#down-driver&Win10 64. Also, when I plug in my headset, the microphone produces an ear-piercing echo-humm that barely goes away with echo cancellation in driver settings.

Last edited: