Question arduino or raspberry pi?

alfiee

Commendable
Jul 23, 2018
Hi, I'm a programmer that barely knows anything about stuff like this.

I have a project which is a motion sensor that detects when a door opens (when it detects motion) it will send that data to my pc or to a server and a LED will light on.
What would be best for this? arduino or raspberry pi? I already know python which I understand pi's use but im open to learning other language

One thing I thought of was for a raspberry pi to act as a server and the motion detector so I could store it on the pi and access the server from my pc / laptop but would is this a good idea / possible?
Is there also a specific motion sensor I have to get?

OldSurferDude

Prominent
May 18, 2019
An Arduino (C++) connected to your computer's USB port would be cheapest (USD$3) and easiest. A program running on the PC to accept the data could be GoBetwino (standalone) or Processing (java). But you'd have to leave your PC running.

An RPi would work well, see: https://opensource.com/article/20/11/motion-detection-raspberry-pi This was the first thing that came up when I googled "Raspberry Pi motion sensor" The take-away here is that you can easily find answers without having to wait for opinionate responses.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS