[SOLVED] arduino or raspberry pi?

alfiee

Commendable
Jul 23, 2018
Hi, I'm a programmer that barely knows anything about stuff like this.

I have a project which is a motion sensor that detects when a door opens (when it detects motion) it will send that data to my pc or to a server and a LED will light on.
What would be best for this? arduino or raspberry pi? I already know python which I understand pi's use but im open to learning other language

One thing I thought of was for a raspberry pi to act as a server and the motion detector so I could store it on the pi and access the server from my pc / laptop but would is this a good idea / possible?
Is there also a specific motion sensor I have to get?

Solution
@rajan2323 Well, yes, that is true. A Tesla is better than a Nissan LEAF, too. But if you only use the vehicle to go to the store that is only a kilometer away from the house, then both work equally well.

In my case, I use an Arduino Nano to monitor level empty, level full, and to turn on/off pump. I have an RPi that determines what do with the level and when to set the pump. The very same RPi also controls what 17 valves to open or close. The RPi also gives a graphical view of the state of the system.

An RPi also requires a monitor, keyboard and mouse or VNC which requires a computer that has those; ~US$100. My Nano's require an nRF24 and a power supply ~US$10. In my car example, Tesla ~US$100k, LEAF (used) ~US$10k...

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
An Arduino (C++) connected to your computer's USB port would be cheapest (USD$3) and easiest. A program running on the PC to accept the data could be GoBetwino (standalone) or Processing (java). But you'd have to leave your PC running.

An RPi would work well, see: https://opensource.com/article/20/11/motion-detection-raspberry-pi This was the first thing that came up when I googled "Raspberry Pi motion sensor" The take-away here is that you can easily find answers without having to wait for opinionate responses.

Mar 1, 2021
Both platforms have their own uniqueness. Raspberry pi gets the best hardware kit award and Arduino is the biggest tech learning platform. If you are a beginner then start with Arduino, because it's library is easily available and it's very easy to learn then move to Pi.

Mar 2, 2021
Hi, I'm a programmer that barely knows anything about stuff like this.

I have a project which is a motion sensor that detects when a door opens (when it detects motion) it will send that data to my pc or to a server and a LED will light on.
What would be best for this? arduino or raspberry pi? I already know python which I understand pi's use but im open to learning other language

One thing I thought of was for a raspberry pi to act as a server and the motion detector so I could store it on the pi and access the server from my pc / laptop but would is this a good idea / possible?
Is there also a specific motion sensor I have to get?
Raspberry pi would be an overkill for such a simple project.
The Raspberry Pi is a low cost, credit-card sized computer.
The Arduino is a microcontroller board.

Your project doesn't require a entire computer, a microcontroller can do the job. Moreover Arduino is way cheaper than a Raspberry Pi board. You can use a WiFi Module with the Arduino board to create an HTML server. Take a look here. If you want to store long term data you can use an SD Card Module to save your data and provide them to your server.

Apr 20, 2021
Hi,
Raspberry pi is better than Arduino with several factors such as
1. Microprocessor difference:- Arduino has 8 bit MP and RP has 64 bit MP.
2.RAM:- Arduino has only 1KB rather than RP has 1GB.
3. RP has its own CPU, ALU, and many ports like video, HDMI but Arduino doesn't have.

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
@rajan2323 Well, yes, that is true. A Tesla is better than a Nissan LEAF, too. But if you only use the vehicle to go to the store that is only a kilometer away from the house, then both work equally well.

In my case, I use an Arduino Nano to monitor level empty, level full, and to turn on/off pump. I have an RPi that determines what do with the level and when to set the pump. The very same RPi also controls what 17 valves to open or close. The RPi also gives a graphical view of the state of the system.

An RPi also requires a monitor, keyboard and mouse or VNC which requires a computer that has those; ~US$100. My Nano's require an nRF24 and a power supply ~US$10. In my car example, Tesla ~US$100k, LEAF (used) ~US$10k.

It really depends on how you're going to use the device or if you have a lot of discretionary resources.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS