[SOLVED] Are 16 lanes that i9 9900k gives adequate for my system

May 2, 2020
Hi there,

I am a video editor and I want to build a new pc for video edting. It will either be a z390 based computer with a i9 9900k cpu or a x299 with an i7 9800x. In either cases it will also have 32gb RAM, 2 NVMEs drives (1Tb each) and a larger (6Tb) HDD, a RTX 2080 8gb graphics card, and Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K and a wifi network card (if not one included on the motherboard).

I am not a computer expert and I got a bit confused regarding the cpu lanes. Knowing that i9 9900k gives 16 lanes in total. Will I be able to run my video cards, and nvme drives in full speed or there will be a bottleneck? I have read that chipset lanes are equivalent to x4. That means I have in total 20x in the i9 9900k scenario? or I should go for the i7 9800x?

Thank you very much for your time and help

Last edited:
Z390 has 24 additional lanes for a total of 40 lanes. Do note that these lanes are used for other devices on the mobo but will easily support more than what you are using. Just check with the mobo you are getting to see how the lanes are being used.

May 2, 2020
Z390 has 24 additional lanes for a total of 40 lanes. Do note that these lanes are used for other devices on the mobo but will easily support more than what you are using. Just check with the mobo you are getting to see how the lanes are being used.

Thank you very much for the help! I am not sure if its true, but I've read that those 24 additional PCH lanes are of lower quality than the CPU ones. And that the total bandwidth between the CPU and the PCH is equivalent to a single PCIe 3.0 x4 link (3.93GB/sec). if so then everything that is on board and everything I connect through PCH will share that 4GB/sec bandwith, and in that case it might be a bottleneck.

May 2, 2020
Thank you very much again for your reply. So the link between CPU and Chipset is x4 which if I am not mistaken has a bandwith of 3.93GB/sec. But would this bandwith be adequate for 2 NVME's m.2 drives running at the same time? I am not sure what is the actual speed of these fast drives