[SOLVED] Are 4 pin fans controlled my mobo, without using mobo software?

Apr 22, 2019
I have i5-8600 [non K], msi z370 sli plus because I was running gtx 970 sli but now have Aorus gtx 1660 Ti and 750 psu. Is everything from msi crap? I fooking hate 'msi command center' and msi afterburner. They work like shite. Command center would not update to the latest version. I downloaded again and tried to run it and nothing happened. So I tried to update through msi app manager. It still didn't work. So I clean uninstall and downloaded app manager and ran it and now command center is not on the list of updates. So I again download command center and now it tells me that this version of c.c. is not compatible with my 6-month new msi z370 mobo. WTF? So I uninstall it all and say "fuggedaboudit". I hope that I don't need this agro. I don't overclock at all. I liked having my fans and temps monitored when gaming and now I can't so I think that it's no biggie. I can use NZXT's CAM and/or GPU-Z to see the temperatures and cpu fan speed, when not gaming and that's good.
When gaming I use <ASUS GPU Tweak> just to see the temps in-game when gaming. When c.c. was working, I think that 'smart mode' controlled the fans according to loads and 'manual mode' was me setting the fan speeds. Finally, here's the question, sorry. When I start my 'puter, do all 6 of my 4-pin case fans on <sys_fan> header, run on default and are controlled by the mobo according to loads? Since I can't control them now, I hope the answer is "yes" so I don't have to worry about fooking MSI shite. So now I can turn it on and go. I apologize for the length, but I wanted to ensure that I put down all pertinent information. Thanks. paca

Solution
In your BIOS, look for the Hardware Monitor ... there you can monitor and adjust fan speeds. If the fans are set to smart fan mode, then fan speed will be adjusted based on CPU or System temperature (depends on which you pick). Page 63 of your manual has more information.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes fans are auto adjusted. Programs like Afterburner as you know just allows you to customise stuff.

I've never used command centre but do use Afterburner to monitor ingame. What were you trying to update? The programs itself or something else like drivers?

In your BIOS, look for the Hardware Monitor ... there you can monitor and adjust fan speeds. If the fans are set to smart fan mode, then fan speed will be adjusted based on CPU or System temperature (depends on which you pick). Page 63 of your manual has more information.

Solution
Apr 22, 2019
I appreciate the answer, but I am wary and do not wish to go into the BIOS. When I turn on my 'puter, does that mean my fans, by default, start up in smart mode? If they do, which is what I want, then that's it, no more worries and I can just turn this on every day, play some games, read and peruse, and then shut 'er down. and Bob's your Uncle. It also keeps me out of the BIOS, which intimidates me. Much thanks to 'anotherdrew'.

@paca5 They probably are in smart mode. Easy test is start a game and listen to the CPU fan. If it speeds up, then it is. The default setting is probably good enough, though some may want to change it to enhance cooling or limit noise.

For monitoring temperatures and fan speeds, look at HW info and hwmonitor. HW info is better, but hwmonitor is easier to read. Try both and see what you like better.