Are 6 and 8 core processors becoming the mainstream for gaming?

Fixadent

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Looks like 6-core processors are becoming the mainstream for gaming and will eventually replace quad cores just like quad cores replaced dual cores many years ago.

I'm in the process of building a very expensive gaming PC and the only two pieces that are missing are the CPU and motherboard.

For the sake of future-proofing, is it worth waiting until October 5th to buy the Core i7 8700K and Z370 motherboard? Or should I go ahead now and just get the 7700K and Z270?

More and more AAA-games are making use of 6-8 cores, and it looks like that trend is going to continue.

Solution
October isn't far away and IMHO it's best to see what the new platform brings to the table and if the previous gen parts will see a price drop(and if it's actually worth gunning for a lower priced system).

IMHO I think it'll be a while before everyone jumps onboard the higher core count need for their gaming developments.

Lutfij

Titan
October isn't far away and IMHO it's best to see what the new platform brings to the table and if the previous gen parts will see a price drop(and if it's actually worth gunning for a lower priced system).

IMHO I think it'll be a while before everyone jumps onboard the higher core count need for their gaming developments.

Solution

Well most big 2017 games have already started benefitting from more cores and some even need it (battlefield 1). Zo waiting for the new 8700k or even 8600k is not a bad idea at all. Also it's only 21 days till the next generation launches so best to just wait for it.

TRENDING THREADS