Question Are 75Hz monitors more of a marketing strategy rather than native support of 75Hz refresh rate?

vikaskumar2299

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
I was looking into some 75Hz Full HD IPS 22" monitors from Acer and LG. On online shopping websites, they mention 75Hz.

But that's not full story. I downloaded their user manuals and there is something more confusing.

In LG monitor (example model: 22MP68VQ ), I found this:

Recommended is 60Hz, but supports 75Hz on FreeSync on.
View: https://imgur.com/auJZWoG

------------------------
Similarly, in Acer (example model: SA220Q or HA220Q), I found this:

It mentions 75Hz only on lower resolutions. For 1080p, it states on 60Hz.
View: https://imgur.com/DDIGi70

=========

I also saw reviews on Amazon where people say you first need to turn on FreeSync to see 75Hz settings. This seems really annoying to me. I have only NVIDIA GPU. And the monitor doesn't have display ports. So FreeSync is 100% useless. Does it also mean 75Hz is a waste for NVIDIA users?

Interestingly, on a seperate note, I found no Benq monitors with 75Hz refresh rate on this price range. They clearly mention 60Hz. I think they don't want to mislead their customers.

Reactions: white.a.drew
I was looking into some 75Hz Full HD IPS 22" monitors from Acer and LG. On online shopping websites, they mention 75Hz.

But that's not full story. I downloaded their user manuals and there is something more confusing.

In LG monitor (example model: 22MP68VQ ), I found this:

Recommended is 60Hz, but supports 75Hz on FreeSync on.
View: https://imgur.com/auJZWoG

------------------------
Similarly, in Acer (example model: SA220Q or HA220Q), I found this:

It mentions 75Hz only on lower resolutions. For 1080p, it states on 60Hz.
View: https://imgur.com/DDIGi70

=========

I also saw reviews on Amazon where people say you first need to turn on FreeSync to see 75Hz settings. This seems really annoying to me. I have only NVIDIA GPU. And the monitor doesn't have display ports. So FreeSync is 100% useless. Does it also mean 75Hz is a waste for NVIDIA users?

Interestingly, on a seperate note, I found no Benq monitors with 75Hz refresh rate on this price range. They clearly mention 60Hz. I think they don't want to mislead their customers.
Yeah basically in my opinion it's a waste of time or money to buy anything less 120hz unless you buy a 60hz display

Reactions: vikaskumar2299
My old Samsung B2230 officially lists 60 Hz on 1080p, but has no trouble running in 75 Hz and even 84 Hz. And my old CRT back in the day was supposed to do 1280x960 at 75 Hz and 1600x1200 on 60 Hz, but could also be convinced to do 2048x1536 on 60 Hz.

If you really want to do a deep dive, check the maximum horizontal and vertical refreshrate and pixel clock the screen supports and setup a custom resolution for that. I've been doing that for over 15 years now.

In the end going from 60 to 75 isn't that much of a difference. Yes, it is more, and you will get faster timings on it, but I don't think 25% improvement is worth buying the monitor directly for that. If you happen to buy a 60 Hz monitor and figure out it can also do 75, it won't hurt setting it as such, but imho it isn't worth buying a 75 Hz screen specifically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
My old Samsung B2230 officially lists 60 Hz on 1080p, but has no trouble running in 75 Hz and even 84 Hz. And my old CRT back in the day was supposed to do 1280x960 at 75 Hz and 1600x1200 on 60 Hz, but could also be convinced to do 2048x1536 on 60 Hz.

If you really want to do a deep dive, check the maximum horizontal and vertical refreshrate and pixel clock the screen supports and setup a custom resolution for that. I've been doing that for over 15 years now.

In the end going from 60 to 75 isn't that much of a difference. Yes, it is more, and you will get faster timings on it, but I don't think 25% improvement is worth buying the monitor directly for that. If you happen to buy a 60 Hz monitor and figure out it can also do 75, it won't hurt setting it as such, but imho it isn't worth buying a 75 Hz screen specifically.
100% agreed