[SOLVED] Are 8x 1200RPM 120mm fans enough for a gaming PC?

DogNamedNibbles

Prominent
Mar 24, 2021
So I'm looking to buy some ARGB fans. I see that alot of these are capped all run at 1200PRM+-10%.

I've currently got a GTX 1080TI, i5-9400K (6 core CPU, running at 3.9GHz - 4.2GHz), 16GB DDR4 ram, 3x HDD (2TB + 1TB + 500GB). I'm using a standard Intel Stock Cooler, but I'm looking at getting a new CPU fan.

From this, do you think 8x (2 bottom, 2 top, 1 back, and 3 front) 120mm fans running at 1200RPM, while at 80% - 100% load on both CPU and GPU, is enough to keep my PC cool.

The case I have, is a Montech Air 900 Mesh Case.
index.php

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product...tempered-glass-mid-tower-case/32113986/images
Gives you more images.

So, do you think that is enough???

Solution
Too many fans in my opinion.
You arent gaining any cooling performance by having an excessive amount of fans, especially with a stock cooler. You are just wasting money and adding extra noise for a "pretty" PC
Personally with that case I would run 2x140mm intakes, a top 140mm exhaust, and a rear 120mm exhaust. You probably dont need anything more than that.
Mar 11, 2021
100% yes. Even a machine with hardware such as an RTX 3070 and a Ryzen 5 5600x can get away with being cooled with 4-6 120mm fans, depending on the system expectations. For what you have, 8x 120mm 1200rpm fans are defiantly satisfactory. However, you might want to set them to a lower rpm to make your pc quieter if you aren't utilizing your PC's full potential.

You arent gaining any cooling performance by having an excessive amount of fans, especially with a stock cooler. You are just wasting money and adding extra noise for a "pretty" PC
Personally with that case I would run 2x140mm intakes, a top 140mm exhaust, and a rear 120mm exhaust. You probably dont need anything more than that.

Reactions: BogdanH
Solution
Mar 11, 2021
Agreed. Even at lower rpm, 8 fans seems excessive for just a 9400k and a 1080 ti.

DogNamedNibbles

Prominent
Mar 24, 2021
Mainly for the look. But also for the cooling.

You can buy the fans for roughly about £3.25 GBP ($5.50 USD) each, which by my standards, isn't half bad. Not to mention they don't look that bad.
71HRyBfkeCL._AC_SX522_.jpg

With them them reaching 5x brighter then that.

Mainly for the look. But also for the cooling.

You can buy the fans for roughly about £3.25 GBP ($5.50 USD) each, which by my standards, isn't half bad. Not to mention they don't look that bad.
71HRyBfkeCL._AC_SX522_.jpg

With them them reaching 5x brighter then that.
A 5 dollar RGB fan is going to perform terribly compared to a decently made fan.
Those will likely be louder, move less air, and fail earlier, but if looks is a priority and you dont mind the noise of 8 120mm fans theres nothing wrong with doing so.