[SOLVED] Are all 1Gb unmanaged switches similar performance?

May 24, 2020
Hi all,
I just want another 1Gb switch (hub) for my home network; but I began wondering how much processing the switch does, and whether more expensive switches give better performance?
I've never found any performance test results / reviews.
I understand there is build quality differences, but anything else?
Thanks, abroad

Solution
Maybe years ago but now the asic technology they are based on is so mature there is little to no difference between devices.

Almost all devices can pass data at non block or wire speed. This means every port can run 1gbit up and 1gbit down all at the same time. So a 8 port switch could be passing 16gbit of traffic.

If you go to some very high end devices that say have 24 10gbit ports you might find bottlenecks where every port can not run at full speed simultaneously but even these are all becoming wirespeed.

The main difference you see in unmanged consumer switches is more does it have a plastic or metal case.
Maybe years ago but now the asic technology they are based on is so mature there is little to no difference between devices.

Almost all devices can pass data at non block or wire speed. This means every port can run 1gbit up and 1gbit down all at the same time. So a 8 port switch could be passing 16gbit of traffic.

If you go to some very high end devices that say have 24 10gbit ports you might find bottlenecks where every port can not run at full speed simultaneously but even these are all becoming wirespeed.

The main difference you see in unmanged consumer switches is more does it have a plastic or metal case.

Solution