Question Are all components faulty or am I missing something?

blackness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2014
I have a home server that just gave up the ghost. The motherboard, CPU, memory, and power supply were all ancient, so I figured I might just as well renew everything but the SSDs. I bought the following:
  • Gigabyte B450M S2H
  • AMD Ryzen 5 4500 3.6GHz
  • Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W 80 Plus
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600Mhz PC4-28800 16GB 2x8GB CL18
According to Gigabyte's compatibility tables (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-doc), these parts should work together. However, when I got it all installed, the only thing that happened was that the power light came on, the fans started, and that was it. There was no contact with the mouse or keyboard and no display (I used an MSI GT 710 as a temporary graphics card as the processor has no graphics capability). There was no reaction when trying to switch it off by holding down the power button; I had to use the switch on the power supply.

I tried switching out the power supply and the memory with another build I knew was working. No dice. So I figured it was a problem with the processor or the motherboard. Being in a hurry, I just ordered another card and processor without any further fault finding.

Now, I have the exact same problems as above with the new card and processor. Tests include:
  • Switching out the motherboard in an old working build with the new motherboards. Same results as above.
  • Switching out the processor of the old working build with the new processors. Same results as above.
  • Trying the new build with the old processor and the new motherboards, and vice versa. No joy.
The old build I was switching parts with looked like this:
  • Gigabyte B450M S2H V2
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 4.40GHz
  • Nox Urano VX 650W 80+ Bronze 120MM PWM (now Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W 80 Plus)
  • HyperX Fury DDR4 2x8GB (now Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600Mhz PC4-28800 16GB 2x8GB CL18)
  • Asus XG-C100F PCIe 10Gigabit SFP+ network card
Is it possible that all the parts (motherboards, processors) are faulty? It seems unlikely somehow. Or am I doing the dum and forgetting something fundamental? Thanks.

I have a home server that just gave up the ghost. The motherboard, CPU, memory, and power supply were all ancient, so I figured I might just as well renew everything but the SSDs. I bought the following:
  • Gigabyte B450M S2H
  • AMD Ryzen 5 4500 3.6GHz
  • Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W 80 Plus
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600Mhz PC4-28800 16GB 2x8GB CL18
According to Gigabyte's compatibility tables (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-doc), these parts should work together. However, when I got it all installed, the only thing that happened was that the power light came on, the fans started, and that was it. There was no contact with the mouse or keyboard and no display (I used an MSI GT 710 as a temporary graphics card as the processor has no graphics capability). There was no reaction when trying to switch it off by holding down the power button; I had to use the switch on the power supply.

I tried switching out the power supply and the memory with another build I knew was working. No dice. So I figured it was a problem with the processor or the motherboard. Being in a hurry, I just ordered another card and processor without any further fault finding.

Now, I have the exact same problems as above with the new card and processor. Tests include:
  • Switching out the motherboard in an old working build with the new motherboards. Same results as above.
  • Switching out the processor of the old working build with the new processors. Same results as above.
  • Trying the new build with the old processor and the new motherboards, and vice versa. No joy.
The old build I was switching parts with looked like this:
  • Gigabyte B450M S2H V2
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 4.40GHz
  • Nox Urano VX 650W 80+ Bronze 120MM PWM (now Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W 80 Plus)
  • HyperX Fury DDR4 2x8GB (now Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600Mhz PC4-28800 16GB 2x8GB CL18)
  • Asus XG-C100F PCIe 10Gigabit SFP+ network card
Is it possible that all the parts (motherboards, processors) are faulty? It seems unlikely somehow. Or am I doing the dum and forgetting something fundamental? Thanks.
Start with the bare min, use only a single ram stick, gpu, cpu, main board and psu. With just these connected will it boot to bios?

Reactions: blackness

blackness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2014
Start with the bare min, use only a single ram stick, gpu, cpu, main board and psu. With just these connected will it boot to bios?
Since its just a server I personally would have gotten a 4500G cpu to avoid the whole gpu issue.
Will perhaps do that next time. However, I have several builds that are based on similar setups, with AMDs with no G and using the MSI as a temporary GPU for the installation only. It always worked.

blackness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2014
I have tried so many things now that I have kinda lost track. I believe I tried your suggestion as well, but with two memory sticks. Will try with one. However, as mentioned above, I use memory sticks that do work on another similar build (the 5600G one).

blackness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2014
None of the cards will boot to BIOS, not even with the bare minimum. I switched around on the processors on both cards as well. Same result. Never seen anything like this. None of the components work. Wonder what happened; did the warehouse suffer a lightning strike or something? EMP? WTF...

None of the cards will boot to BIOS, not even with the bare minimum. I switched around on the processors on both cards as well. Same result. Never seen anything like this. None of the components work. Wonder what happened; did the warehouse suffer a lightning strike or something? EMP? WTF...
It sounds like a faulty mobo or cpu. However it could be instable psu not providing proper current to anything however general issue like this is mobo or cpu

TRENDING THREADS