Question Are all coolers that are 1150 compatible the same size?

rylandjomitchell

Prominent
Nov 25, 2018
Recently bought a new CPU, an i5 4670k, upgrading from an i3 pentium, and of course my cpu is getting super hot (99 degrees celsius) when running games, idiling at around 70 degrees, since im using the stock cooler i got with the i3. I have a thermaltake black core v1 mini chassis, so it has be the same size diameters as the stock i3 cooler since its crammed in next to my ram. its a 1150 socket, so i presume any cooler i buy thats 1150 compatible will fit? i wasnt sure so i thought id ask. theirs plenty of room to go up. Also, best suitable cooler i could get for under $50? preferably available to buy in Australia.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need to know what your chassis is in order to understand your height limitations. On that note, you should've gotten a stock cooler with the unlocked i5-4670K which has a copper slug in the center of the cooler.

Another note, you should've paired the K suffix processor with a Z series chipset.

rylandjomitchell

Prominent
Nov 25, 2018
We're going to need to know what your chassis is in order to understand your height limitations. On that note, you should've gotten a stock cooler with the unlocked i5-4670K which has a copper slug in the center of the cooler.

edited post accordingly.
i dont have a stock cooler since i bought the cpu second hand.

Last edited:
The i5 has a beefier stock cooler with a copper slug. The i3 cooler is just aluminum and isn't as good. The 4670k is a hot CPU.

The height of your chassis is 276 mm. I can see pictures of your chassis with the Hyper 212 EVO cooler. Seems to fit fine.

Are you gonna buy a i5 stock cooler or a better one? The stock cooler for the i5 is averaging 70 at load but that's considering you have good ambient temps and good airflow.