Discussion Are all current laptops with i7 and 4k display noisy?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I am a long term MacBook Pro user but switched to Windows laptops due to the old age of my MBP and the butterfly keyboard. 25 years ago, I used some Thinkpad laptops such as T20, T21.

It seems that for the past four years, as manufacturers try to make laptops thinner and thinner, laptops have noisy fans issues. I have tried several Lenovo laptops due to my previous good experience with the Thinkpad. Since last Fall, I have tried:

X1 Extreme (i7-8850H, 4K screen with Nvidia 1050 GPU)
X1 Yoga Gen 3 (i7-8650U, WQHD screen with iGPU)
Yoga 730 15" (i7-8550U, 4K screen with Nvidia 1050 GPU)
Yoga C930 14" (i7-8550U, 4K screen with iGPU)

As well known, the X1 Extreme had jet engine issues but after BIOS 1.19, it is dead silent most of the time when it is not plugged to AC adapter. When it does, jet engine noise again for no reason. Under Linux, it just produces jet engine noise when I launched a browser. It drove me crazy. Exchanging for another one did not help.

X1 Yoga Gen 3 was not that bad as I recall. However, when I connected it to an external 4K TV or eGPU, fan became noisy. Didn't test it under Linux. Screen resolutions was too low for me.

Yoga 730 15" has high pitch noisy fan especially when plugged into the AC adapter even I turned off Nvidia GPU. 90% of the time is dead silent when on battery.

Yoga C930 has fan noise once in awhile but the noise is not annoying. Just like constant white noise or whoosh-like noise.

Did not try Surface Book 2 because parts cannot be replaced and it has no 2TB SSD version.

I have not pushed these machines yet. Just use them for youtube and basic office productivity. However, I keep having annoying fans issue even the CPU load is about 1%-5% under task manager. How come? When I complained about noisy fans of the X1 Extreme, people recommended choosing U-series CPU if I want to quietness. However, the Yoga 730 is also noisy even with the Nvidia GPU off. Yoga C930 has fan noise as well even it has U-CPU and no dGPU. If I try other brands such as HP, ASUS or Acer, will I have the same problem? Is such fan noise even at low CPU load common these days? In 2014, I had a retina MBP with Nvidia GPU. It was dead silent even it was doing CAD.