[SOLVED] Are all of these components compatible with my prebuilt?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

I want to upgrade some components of my pre-built PC, and am looking for asistance and reassurance that everything I've chosen is compatible with my form factor and everything I have.

My pre-built is HP Pavilion Power 580-199ng.

Specs:
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 64-bit
  • Antivirus Software: Malwarebytes Premium + uBlock Origin
  • Firewall: Windows Firewall
  • Computer: HP Pavilion Power 580-199ng
  • CPU: i7-8700 6 cores 12 threads 4.3 GHz
  • Motherboard: HP Tampa 2
  • RAM: 2x 8 GB DDR4 @ 1200 MHz
  • Storage: SanDisk SD8SB8U 512 GB SSD + Western Digital WD10JPLX 1 TB HDD
  • Display: Dual Monitor 1080p144hz / 1080p75hz
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • Soundcard: Realtek Onboard Sound Card
  • Power Supply: 300 W internal ATX E-STAR 6.0 Bronze power supply
These are all the items I want to buy:

PQlsMnc.png

Basically: An RTX 2060 6GB ITX, 32 GB of DDR4 2400 MHz RAM and a new 600W ITX Form Factor ATX Power Supply.

Please tell me if everything should work fine with what I have so I don't spend money on nothing. Please don't advise me to just get a new PC since that's out of the realms of possibilities for me. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
My current PSU has an ATX form factor so I guess it should be fine. ITX form factor would apply to my gpu. Again I'm dumb with these things.
I checked the dimensions and it seems to fit just fine.
Is this PSU worth getting though, that's what I want to know. I don't really have a big salary next month.

That just means that the GPU is small enough for ITX builds. Generally speaking, you want to avoid those in a non-ITX machine because one fan solutions mean the GPU runs hotter than one with two or three fans. It has nothing to do with the size of the power supply.

The Corsair CX 550 is adequate.

DSzymborski

Titan
Bumps are not allowed.

The EVGA W1 is a very low-end power supply, not something I'd ever pair with a discrete GPU. If you're going EVGA, you shouldn't be looking at anything that isn't a G2/G3/B2/P2/T2/GS. Other options include the SeaSonic Focus or Corsair RMx series.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Bumps are not allowed.

The EVGA W1 is a very low-end power supply, not something I'd ever pair with a discrete GPU. If you're going EVGA, you shouldn't be looking at anything that isn't a G2/G3/B2/P2/T2/GS. Other options include the SeaSonic Focus or Corsair RMx series.

What's a good one then? I've looked at 30 different PSUs and whenever I ask someone about it they say it's not good, recommend me another and someone else says it's not good and the cycle continues.

DSzymborski

Titan
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00LMBT0IO

How about this?

Excuse my retardation, never built a PC before if it wasn't obvious

No, the Corsair VS, especially the older ones with green or orange letters, are not recommended either. There are newer Corsair VS units that are actually worth getting for low-end rigs, but a modern i7 with an RTX 2060 doesn't qualify there.

The Corsair CX (as long as it's not the older ones with green letters), is usually the least expensive PSU worth buying. It's not amazing, but it's a reasonable budget choice.

D

Deleted member 2720853

No, the Corsair VS, especially the older ones with green or orange letters, are not recommended either. There are newer Corsair VS units that are actually worth getting for low-end rigs, but a modern i7 with an RTX 2060 doesn't qualify there.

The Corsair CX (as long as it's not the older ones with green letters), is usually the least expensive PSU worth buying. It's not amazing, but it's a reasonable budget choice.

Okay this one seems to be the only one that fits my form factor: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B019NWRUXK

Will it do?

DSzymborski

Titan
Okay this one seems to be the only one that fits my form factor: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B019NWRUXK

Will it do?

Well, what's your form factor? You call it an ITX above, but you also list a model that's a minitower with a uATX motherboard. The EVGA W1 is not a small power supply. Most PSUs ought to fit just fine in a bog-standard case that houses a uATX motherboard.

DSzymborski

Titan
Also, should I get part modular or PC power adaptor one?

I'm not sure what a "PC Power adaptor" power supply is. PSUs come as fully modular, semi modular (the CPU/MB connectors generally built in) or non modular. Which one you choose is up to you. Fully modular PSUs are more expensive, but I'll always choose to spend a little more to avoid having a spaghetti monster in my builds.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Well, what's your form factor? You call it an ITX above, but you also list a model that's a minitower with a uATX motherboard. The EVGA W1 is not a small power supply. Most PSUs ought to fit just fine in a bog-standard case that houses a uATX motherboard.

My current PSU has an ATX form factor so I guess it should be fine. ITX form factor would apply to my gpu. Again I'm dumb with these things.
I checked the dimensions and it seems to fit just fine, the new PSU has exactly the same dimensions as the one I'm using now. Guess I'll get the PC Power Adaptor one since it seems to be full modular.
Is this PSU worth getting though, that's what I want to know. I don't really have a big salary next month.

DSzymborski

Titan
I checked the dimensions and it seems to fit just fine.

That just means that the GPU is small enough for ITX builds. Generally speaking, you want to avoid those in a non-ITX machine because one fan solutions mean the GPU runs hotter than one with two or three fans. It has nothing to do with the size of the power supply.

The Corsair CX 550 is adequate.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

Have you actually measured the space for the GPU? Cases that fit uATX motherboards generally don't require GPUs that are geared towards ITX builds.

I took out and opened the PC to see if it fits, and to my surprise this isn't an ITX card at all, seems to have an ATX form factor, just like this other variant of the RTX 2070 that I found: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07JHXGJWZ

I measured the space, it will fit, even if I have to move the SATA cables a bit.

Surprisingly though, the power connector for my current GPU is on my GPU. There is a slot for GPU power on the mobo, I guess I'm gonna have to use that right?

Is this 2070 good?

DSzymborski

Titan
I took out and opened the PC to see if it fits, and to my surprise this isn't an ITX card at all, seems to have an ATX form factor, just like this other variant of the RTX 2070 that I found: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07JHXGJWZ

I measured the space, it will fit, even if I have to move the SATA cables a bit.

Surprisingly though, the power connector for my current GPU is on my GPU. There is a slot for GPU power on the mobo, I guess I'm gonna have to use that right?

Is this 2070 good?

No, power connectors for a GPU are on the GPU. Discrete GPUs are powered directly from the PCIE connections from the power supply.

Can you take a picture of your motherboard and its connections? I'm a bit worried that you have proprietary power connections on your motherboard.

DSzymborski

Titan
Oh okay so that means I'm good to go by plugging the gpu cable into the GFX_PWR connector? It's not proprietary right?

Also, this: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07JHXGJWZ

Will work in it right? It says it's ATX and the dimensions are good.

No, you don't connect it to the motherboard at all except for the PCIE slot you put the card into. It's powered by the PSU.