[SOLVED] Are all thermal pastes similar?

HI,im looking for a thermal paste for my i7-3770 which will be cooled by be quiet! Pure Rock Slim.At a local online shop i can find thermal paste (unused/new)
between 1$ and 12$ and im just wondering is it ok to cheap out on it.I was thinking of going in the middle for something like 5$-6$,but i have no problem with going with the 12$ if its gonna make a difference.Also im looking to use it on my gpu too,so keep that in mind.
Thanks,stay safe :)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
What I listed will do fine and it should be a long time before you ever need to replace the past if ever.

Paste can last the lifetime of the PC!

On a side note I had a old 6970 video card used it for many years and sold it to a friend that still uses it I have never seen a reason to replace the paste on a video card.

Reactions: Dj0gany

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I prefer Noctua NT-H1, Phanteks, Gelid Extreme, TG Kryonaut. They spread easily, clean easily and last 8+ years easily. They also happen to be ranked among the best. Just do not use the liquid metals, at all. That's a disaster in the making for use only on the inside of the IHS, not recommended at all for outside.

With any luck, you won't be needing to reapply after installing the beQuiet cooler, and pastes generally have a shelf life of around 2 years once opened.

So it's one of those things...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah i know that,but im looking for a paste which can serve me as a replacement when its time to replace the paste on the be quiet! cooler and my gpu.Thanks for the reply :)
I have a PC in my house my wife has been using over 10 years and the paste has never been replaced like I said it should last a long time and probably for the life of the PC>

My 4790K PC still has the original paste and it's 6 years old no temp rises and it's overclocked.

For a new PC and using a cooler that comes with paste already buying a tube to replace it would be the last thing I was thinking about.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for everyone that replied.I will save yours and mine's time by making a list of every paste and its price,also i prefer to buy from my local online shop,not amazon or anything that takes 1 month (or more) to ship to me.Tell me what i should go for:
-TG-PW-1.5 Gembird - 1,16$
-TG-GS-1.5 Gembird HALNZIYE HY710 - 1,45$
-GEMBIRD Tg G1.5 01 - 1,93$
-HANLZIYE HY510 - 3,38$ (same one for 4,82$) ; (same one for 5,78$)
-HALNZIYE HY410 - 3,86$
-GEMBIRD TG-G15-02 - 4,05$ (same one for 4,82$)
-DeepCool Z3 - 4,15$ (same one for 4,24$)
-NOCTUA NT-H1 - 9,64$
-GD900 - 11,48$

I hope this list has helped you,cuz i wasted 30 minutes doing this :)

Thanks again for all the replies

Edit:btw where i said "(same one for ...$)" that means that the mass (grams) is same.It is mostly 15grams,but there are exceptions,ussualy less grams

Like I said their really no reason to even buy any !
Ok heres the deal.Im trying to give the paste to my friend as a present for his birthday which is in the next two weeks.He has been bragging for the past two weeks that his paste on the cpu and gpu needs to be changed.He has a i7 3770 and a be queit! Pure Rock Slim,and when he was cleaning his cpu heatsink,he touched/wiped or whatever the part of the heatsink that goes to the cpu with a alcohol wipe,and made a huge gap in the midle.Its like he split it in half.Thats why he needs it for the cpu,for the gpu he told me that the temps were a little bit higher than ussuall so he dissasembled the gpu and found out that his paste on the gpu was rock solid.So thats why im buying a paste.Thanks for the replies Zerk2012 :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For the cpu, that has an IHS that's not perfectly flat, ever. The normal pastes work very well with that, sticking to the IHS as needed.

The gpu is different. It's direct die, no IHS so it's not a good metal- metal contact, but something closer to glass. So the thinner pastes such as the Noctua etc don't stick very well, they heat up and bleed out the edge. For gpus it's recommended a thicker 'pastier' paste instead, about the best is Arctic MX-4, offering very good thermal conductivity and more importantly, staying put.

Arctic MX-4 also works well on cpus, so if needing a paste for both, that'd be my #1 choice.

For the cpu, that has an IHS that's not perfectly flat, ever. The normal pastes work very well with that, sticking to the IHS as needed.

The gpu is different. It's direct die, no IHS so it's not a good metal- metal contact, but something closer to glass. So the thinner pastes such as the Noctua etc don't stick very well, they heat up and bleed out the edge. For gpus it's recommended a thicker 'pastier' paste instead, about the best is Arctic MX-4, offering very good thermal conductivity and more importantly, staying put.

Arctic MX-4 also works well on cpus, so if needing a paste for both, that'd be my #1 choice.
Thanks,i found one for like 15€,so its not too expensive.I think i will go with it,thanks again.