[SOLVED] Are amd drivers that bad ?

Solution
Are AMD drivers so bad? Ask Vega 56/64 /VII if they are having issues.

I bought and AMD RX 5700XT Thicc III for XFX, had black screen issues. RMA'd and they sent me another one. Same problem. They gave me the money back.

Do you want to risk yourself to get a bit more bang for the buck? Good luck. Most people having issues with this cards have to issue 19.12.3 or below.

Even AMD is aware of the issues at 20.4.1 drivers (this has been going on since release September 2019.

Known Issues
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Running...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
AMD has a pretty poor track record with initial drivers for cards, and it does take a bit of time to level out and improve.

Equally though, AMD cards tend to receive optimized driver support for longer.

Definitely a tradeoff. Are they "that bad" overall? No, not in my opinion. In the short-term, early-adopter situation, they can be pretty poor, yes.

Hardware Unboxed (of Youtube fame) series of video lectures discussed this a few times on Youtube, doing surveys of users, and, some 30% complained, and admitted that their testing (and many other hardware testers) were 100% issue-free. However, as so many have had no issues, one also can not rule out mistakes on drivers, non-fresh installs, inadequate power, monitor sync issues, etc.

Piske

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016

I bought and AMD RX 5700XT Thicc III for XFX, had black screen issues. RMA'd and they sent me another one. Same problem. They gave me the money back.

Do you want to risk yourself to get a bit more bang for the buck? Good luck. Most people having issues with this cards have to issue 19.12.3 or below.

Even AMD is aware of the issues at 20.4.1 drivers (this has been going on since release September 2019.

Known Issues
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Running Folding@Home while also running an application using hardware acceleration of video content can cause a system hang or black screen. A potential workaround is disabling hardware acceleration for the application that has it enabled.
  • Using Edge™ web browser to playback video content with a multi display system configuration may cause a system hang or crash after extended periods of use.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
  • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Desktop or In-game corruption may occur intermittently when HDR is enabled.
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when playing games with Instant Replay enabled. A potential workaround for users experiencing these issues is to disable Instant Replay.
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when performing multiple task switches using Alt+Tab.
  • A system crash or hang may be experienced when using Edge browser to play Netflix™ content.
  • Some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely.
  • Direct ML Media Filters are currently unavailable in Radeon Software Media gallery for video or image content.
  • XSplit™ may experience an application hang or freeze when performing a scene switch.
Want more: try this: https://community.amd.com/thread/243837?messageTarget=all&start=2625&mode=comments

Solution

Ahhmmed

BANNED
Mar 30, 2020

Known Issues
  • Running Folding@Home while also running an application using hardware acceleration of video content can cause a system hang or black screen. A potential workaround is disabling hardware acceleration for the application that has it enabled.
  • Using Edge™ web browser to playback video content with a multi display system configuration may cause a system hang or crash after extended periods of use.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
  • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Desktop or In-game corruption may occur intermittently when HDR is enabled.
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when playing games with Instant Replay enabled. A potential workaround for users experiencing these issues is to disable Instant Replay.
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when performing multiple task switches using Alt+Tab.
  • A system crash or hang may be experienced when using Edge browser to play Netflix™ content.
  • Some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely.
  • Direct ML Media Filters are currently unavailable in Radeon Software Media gallery for video or image content.
  • XSplit™ may experience an application hang or freeze when performing a scene switch.
Want more: try this: https://community.amd.com/thread/243837?messageTarget=all&start=2625&mode=comments
Then, i should stick with Nvidia right ?

RainingTacco

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.

This is complete joke of a statement. I understand why they finally admitted that, but they are really losing face.
If you don't mind spending upward of many hours of troubleshoting, sometimes to no avail, then yes get AMD. If you are adult who earn money, then go with nvidia because time spent on actual entertainment is worth more than gold for someone who has limited time.

Piske

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016
This is complete joke of a statement. I understand why they finally admitted that, but they are really losing face.
If you don't mind spending upward of many hours of troubleshoting, sometimes to no avail, then yes get AMD. If you are adult who earn money, then go with nvidia because time spent on actual entertainment is worth more than gold for someone who has limited time.
i aggree. I've been building and troubleshooting pcs for 20 years, and i spent like 10 hours reading about this problem, and more hours trying to figure out what was going on. Most of the people i've read that have issues with AMD RX 5x00 series have not returned their cards because retailer do not accept them anymore. Most of them are having no issues , or at least very minor ones with 19.12.3 with no options Enable, just default settings. You get no optimizations or support for new games, and you get no benefit from newer technology and advances. Most of them have sacrified speed, compatibility and options for stability. They cannot even do overclock because there are crashes.

So, YES, go NVIDIA.