[SOLVED] Are any upgrades possible here?

Hi,i have i7 3770,r9 380 4gb,2x8gb ddr3 1333mhz,lenovo ih61m,1tb hdd,700W psu
Im planning on buying a ssd for windows and i plan on using it as a boot drive.
I innitionaly planned on saving money for ps5,but im wondering is there a possible upgrade here.I DONT want to change mobo or switch to ddr4,plus i dont think a gpu upgrade would be a massive change since r9 380 4gb is a small bottleneck for 3770.

Let me know what u think.

Solution
Depends entirely on the game. From the cpu fps output to the gpu fps onscreen, it's all dependent on the game in question.

I run a 3770k @ 4.6GHz. A gtx970 with 128% OC. In Starwars the Old Republic, single player or 8man operation I have 0 issues with taxing the 90fps in-game cap. Bump that to 16man, and I'm turning off cpu bound stuff like name tags, floating damage etc. Just to alleviate cpu limits or the game gets stuttery and laggy. 24man world boss fights are abysmal. There's simply far too much AI from all the other players. I get drops to 5fps and average 15fps. It's all cpu limits, changing detail levels does nothing, the gpu has no problems.

CSGO, I can hit 300 fps in office. Again cpu limited. Minecraft, same thing...
Oh my mistake :D

Check for the used market for 1070's to get them for cheaper. I dont personally think its worth it to buy such an old gpu brand new since the price in used 1070's is way lower than current retail price.
the cheapest one is Inno3D's for 175euros.I wont change to the 1070 until i get some money.It will be like a year later or something like that.I still think even then it will be a beast of a gpu.I mean 8gb of vram will be a sweet spot for the next couple of years.Also do you think r9 390 8gb will make a big difference in performance?

the cheapest one is Inno3D's for 175euros.I wont change to the 1070 until i get some money.It will be like a year later or something like that.I still think even then it will be a beast of a gpu.I mean 8gb of vram will be a sweet spot for the next couple of years.Also do you think r9 390 8gb will make a big difference in performance?
It'll make a difference for sure. In older games you'd be expecting to see a boost of around 10-30fps depending on the title. On newer games, i cannot guarantee such a big lift in fps.

Reactions: Dj0gany

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends entirely on the game. From the cpu fps output to the gpu fps onscreen, it's all dependent on the game in question.

I run a 3770k @ 4.6GHz. A gtx970 with 128% OC. In Starwars the Old Republic, single player or 8man operation I have 0 issues with taxing the 90fps in-game cap. Bump that to 16man, and I'm turning off cpu bound stuff like name tags, floating damage etc. Just to alleviate cpu limits or the game gets stuttery and laggy. 24man world boss fights are abysmal. There's simply far too much AI from all the other players. I get drops to 5fps and average 15fps. It's all cpu limits, changing detail levels does nothing, the gpu has no problems.

CSGO, I can hit 300 fps in office. Again cpu limited. Minecraft, same thing. Skyrim64 with over 170 2k/4k/8k mods, and HD physX has no issues with well over 60fps. It takes Metal Gear Solid V with a 4k DSR to get the gpu to 99%.

The r9 380 is in no way a bottleneck for the 3770, regardless of what any calculator tells you. In some games you'll be cpu output limited, in other games gpu detail limited.

Depending entirely on which particular game you play.

SSD, best upgrade, just for playability enjoyment, it sucks when the hdd takes so long to load the map that your team is long gone and half dead by the time you drop. It sucks going in/out city's or buildings and waiting 30+ seconds for each map to load, it sucks when starting a multi-player match and get booted from the team because load times are too long and people don't want to wait.

Not all that much difference between a 380 and 390. Not worth the money for a few fps you won't generally see as it's beyond the refresh of the monitor.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution

CSGO, I can hit 300 fps in office. Again cpu limited. Minecraft, same thing. Skyrim64 with over 170 2k/4k/8k mods, and HD physX has no issues with well over 60fps. It takes Metal Gear Solid V with a 4k DSR to get the gpu to 99%.

The r9 380 is in no way a bottleneck for the 3770, regardless of what any calculator tells you. In some games you'll be cpu output limited, in other games gpu detail limited.

Depending entirely on which particular game you play.

SSD, best upgrade, just for playability enjoyment, it sucks when the hdd takes so long to load the map that your team is long gone and half dead by the time you drop. It sucks going in/out city's or buildings and waiting 30+ seconds for each map to load, it sucks when starting a multi-player match and get booted from the team because load times are too long and people don't want to wait.

Not all that much difference between a 380 and 390. Not worth the money for a few fps you won't generally see as it's beyond the refresh of the monitor.
Thanks man,thats the kind of advice i needed.