[SOLVED] Are BIOSes from the same vendor for the same chipset interchangeable?

Aug 16, 2020
I want to overclock on my GA-B85-HD3-A, but GIGABYTE didn't release an overclockable BIOS for this board, but an almost identical one like this has an overclockable BIOS, can I simply flash this one onto my board? If this way doesn't work out, then what about hexing the turbo clock to achieve the same effect as overclocking? Thanks.

Solution
I want to overclock on my GA-B85-HD3-A, but GIGABYTE didn't release an overclockable BIOS for this board, but an almost identical one like this has an overclockable BIOS, can I simply flash this one onto my board? If this way doesn't work out, then what about hexing the turbo clock to achieve the same effect as overclocking? Thanks.
There's more to the BIOS than just making the chipset and CPU operate. It initializes all motherboard peripherals too including network, audio, Super_IO, SMBus, etc as well as the VRM's for each of the peripherals including memory as well as CPU and chipset.

You're probably better off hitting one of the Reddit overclocking forums, e.g., www.reddit.com/r/overclocking , or the...
Aug 16, 2020
No,
Cannot each bios is written with a checksum to compliance to the motherboard.
and to ensure it works it is like a little written software to enable hardware to work tip-top condition.
Checksum is not a problem as long as the size difference is not too big.

Did some more seach.
https://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html
I wonder i can simply replace CPU microcodes this time, then figure out where to change the maximun voltages.

There's more to the BIOS than just making the chipset and CPU operate. It initializes all motherboard peripherals too including network, audio, Super_IO, SMBus, etc as well as the VRM's for each of the peripherals including memory as well as CPU and chipset.

You're probably better off hitting one of the Reddit overclocking forums, e.g., www.reddit.com/r/overclocking , or the forums on www.overclock.net and asking about BIOS modding. If it's been done for your board there'll be one out there you can possibly grab.

Solution

Endre

Reputable

Please don’t do it!
Updating the BIOS version is a bit of a risky thing even when done properly!
By no means I’d try a BIOS version that’s been released for another board.