Are cheap Xeons good for gaming

JonFurriku

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
Hey i wanted to build a gaming PC but my budget is really low and the prices here are big so i went over to Aliexpress to find some cheap PC part and i found a Xeon X5450 that's the same as Q9650 the CPU is really cheap at $13 for a quad core 3.0 but it is good for gaming combining it to a GTX 760 that i bought on eBay for 50 USD but is it worth it for gaming?

Solution
That Xeon uses socket 771, which requires you to either buy a server motherboard (which probably won't have sound and may not take a video card), or that you buy a 775 motherboard and make both physical modifications (cutting the socket) and that you modify the BIOS to accept CPUs it never supported.

Even were you to get it to work, it's old enough that it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for many games. Modern Intel CPUs with the same clockspeed and core count are around twice as fast.
That Xeon uses socket 771, which requires you to either buy a server motherboard (which probably won't have sound and may not take a video card), or that you buy a 775 motherboard and make both physical modifications (cutting the socket) and that you modify the BIOS to accept CPUs it never supported.

Even were you to get it to work, it's old enough that it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for many games. Modern Intel CPUs with the same clockspeed and core count are around twice as fast.

Solution
Don't listen to that minimum requirement crap when it comes to cpus; even a Q6600 can still do fine in today's games; same deal for an older Xeon. My brother is using an LGA 1366 Xeon with a GTX 780; no issues at all. My buddy uses a Q6600; works fine for modern games.

Clock speed matters to an extent, but if you're above 2.2Ghz on intel quad core or dual core with hyperthreading (appearing as quad)generally you are fine for gaming.