[SOLVED] Are cheaper cards more prone to coil whine, looking at two diff 2070's.

Davv

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
I want to buy a new card and I'm looking at these two cards.

EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black GAMING is the cheapest 2070 that EVGA makes it actually only has one 8pin connection for power and the PCB is not even full length of the card only about half.

EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC GAMING is third best 2070 card out of the eight 2070's that EVGA makes. It has factory OC, needs two power connections and the PCB is the full length of the board.

My question is could the cheaper GPU be more prone to coil whine ? Also the cheaper card has no backplate, is there a good chance it could sag a bit ? I know I've that cheap cases can lead to GPU's to sag but I'm asking anyway.

Also if you had two choose between the two which would you choose and why ?

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-1071-KR $499

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-2172-KR $549

Solution
Coil whine is all over the place, it varies from model to model and even from card to card of the same model. Perhaps the bigger coolers have less coil whine due to the heatsink being bigger and blocking the sound. But that isn't guaranteed.

The XC Gaming from a performance and a cooling perspective is well worth the $50 bucks. You get a far beefier heatsink and according to Gamers Nexus, doesn't have any corners cut.

The $500 is fine from a quality perspective, but has no bells and whistles and is just there to satisfy Nvidia's requirement for a $500 2070.
Coil whine is all over the place, it varies from model to model and even from card to card of the same model. Perhaps the bigger coolers have less coil whine due to the heatsink being bigger and blocking the sound. But that isn't guaranteed.

The XC Gaming from a performance and a cooling perspective is well worth the $50 bucks. You get a far beefier heatsink and according to Gamers Nexus, doesn't have any corners cut.

The $500 is fine from a quality perspective, but has no bells and whistles and is just there to satisfy Nvidia's requirement for a $500 2070.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS