Are Dell XPS 13 and HP Spectre 13 laptops solid performers?

Jul 19, 2019
I am looking to upgrade my Lattitude E7440. It still does all the things I need so I am not in a hurry. Since I am retired, I am not looking for a workhorse business laptop and I am not a gamer. Browsing online and using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook for personal use occupy most of my online time. My budget is around $1,000.

Looking around online I keep seeing high marks for the Dell XPS 13 and the HP Spectre x360 . After talking to two computer repair shops, they both thought the XPS 13 and the Spectre x360 fell short on reliability. Both shops mentioned they had replaced a number of motherboards in the XPS and one shop included the Spectre x360 as also having motherboard problems. One shop mentioned 4K touchscreens in a super thin 13 inch laptop can lead to problems. They thought 1080P screens in a 13 inch laptop perform just about as good as 4K touchscreens with fewer problems.

So I ask you experts:
  1. Do you agree with the repair shops about the reliability of the Dell XPS 13 and/or the HP Spectre x360?
  2. Which laptop in your opinion is the better laptop? and
  3. How long can I expect a Dell XPS 13 or a HP Spectre x360 to function trouble free?
Any comments, opinions and laptop suggestions are appreciated. I am placing this on a couple of computer forums.

LordVile

Reputable
May 27, 2016
If you want an ultrabook that's reliable just to do productivity and internet based stuff why not either go for a cheap(er) Chromebook or the king of thin and lights the MacBook Air?

For that price range my suggestions would be the LG Gram, Surface Laptop 2, PixelBook and MacBook Air.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS