[SOLVED] Are Desktops Actually Dying, or Just Too Expensive?

IDProG

Distinguished
We have seen how consoles somehow could contain powerful hardware inside a small chassis and are priced quite cheap (even with $420 subscription service fee).

Then, I found this. A laptop with good specs for $1050.

I attempted to build a PC with similar parts, and I got this:
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $149.99 @ Best Buy
Motherboard | ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $68.98 @ Newegg
Memory | Patriot Viper Elite 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory | $38.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $99.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card | $263.98 @ Newegg
Case | Thermaltake Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case | $44.99 @ Best Buy
Power Supply | EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply | $41.98 @ Newegg
Monitor | MSI Optix G241 23.8" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor | $189.99 @ B&H
Keyboard | Thermaltake Commander Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard With Optical Mouse | $32.99 @ Amazon
Speakers | Creative Labs Pebble 2.0 4.4 W 2.0 Channel Speakers | $22.98 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $989.86
| Mail-in rebates | -$35.00
| Total | $954.86
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-29 18:17 EDT-0400 |

Now, I have to give credit where credit is due:
  1. The desktop PC is cheaper
  2. The desktop PC is a little bit more powerful (around 10% more powerful)
  3. Optimization in parts selection can be done to reduce the price even more
However, when you think about it, for just $100 more, the benefit is:
  1. A small chassis, smaller than even ITX PCs could ever be.
  2. An overall less power-hungry device. This is beneficial for some people, like me, who temporarily live in a room in a "guest house" (for the lack of a better term), in which each room only has 400W of power.
  3. Like consoles, this laptop is a small and powerful yet affordable device. If a desktop is made within similar specs and with Mini ITX case, it will most likely cost more.
  4. The benefits of a laptop, like true portability (can be used on the go without needing any power source, at least for some time).
So what's the deal with desktop systems?

I would like to read what your thoughts are.

EDIT: Ok, so I linked a wrong product. The laptop I linked actually had 60Hz display instead of 120.
Apparently, the laptop I mentioned isn't available in Newegg, so I just use my local store link to show you. I have edited the link to the said local store link.

Last edited:
Solution
If getting a desktop with a discrete GPU, there is no reason to be getting a 2400G/3400G, as paying a bit extra for a CPU with integrated graphics capability seems wasted......

The generally accepted 'good' Ryzen starting system (for gaming/general work, etc) is an R5-1600AF/2600, and better yet, the outstanding value/performance R5-3600...

The 2400G and 3400G are great for general purpose budget systems, general surfers, office work, as they save the builder $100-$150 by not having to buy a discrete GPU solution...
Can you add second NIC to your laptop? Can you add three more HDDs/SSDs?
Can you add full-blown card reader? Bump the memory? Swap the CPU?
Can you connect three monitors? Connect half-a-dozen USB peripherals?

You see, there're use cases where laptops just don't cut. And your laptop has just 15.4" screen, while put twice that size on the desktop, and still be under one grand.

If getting a desktop with a discrete GPU, there is no reason to be getting a 2400G/3400G, as paying a bit extra for a CPU with integrated graphics capability seems wasted......

The generally accepted 'good' Ryzen starting system (for gaming/general work, etc) is an R5-1600AF/2600, and better yet, the outstanding value/performance R5-3600...

The 2400G and 3400G are great for general purpose budget systems, general surfers, office work, as they save the builder $100-$150 by not having to buy a discrete GPU solution...

Solution
The problem with buying a desktop is that folks normally intend to profit off the sale, so, typically charge parts plus $100-$150 to cover markup, etc... They are far from dead, however,IMO...... (as evidenced by massive sales of separate CPUs on Newegg/Amazon, etc...)

IDProG

Distinguished
Can you add second NIC to your laptop? Can you add three more HDDs/SSDs?
Can you add full-blown card reader? Bump the memory? Swap the CPU?
Can you connect three monitors? Connect half-a-dozen USB peripherals?

You see, there're use cases where laptops just don't cut. And your laptop has just 15.4" screen, while put twice that size on the desktop, and still be under one grand.
Yeah, of course we're not talking about server/workstation or data center workstations. We're talking about consumer-grade gaming desktops.

Also, about the extra storage. FYI, external storage exists.
How frequent do we actually change CPUs?
Let's be honest, not that frequent, especially for normal people. There are some people that still use FX CPUs, 2nd Gen i7, 4790K, etc., even until now.
By the time we change CPUs, we would be changing the entire PC, anyway.

woot

Distinguished
The problem with buying a desktop is that folks normally intend to profit off the sale, so, typically charge parts plus $100-$150 to cover markup, etc... They are far from dead, however,IMO...... (as evidenced by massive sales of separate CPUs on Newegg/Amazon, etc...)

while shopping for computer parts last winter, i took some pre-built gaming pc's and priced out the parts individualy....and i saw that it would be more expensive to assemble that exact pre-built pc with the same parts.....probly because the companies that make them get wholesale price for all the components.

TRENDING THREADS