Question Are DisplayPorts backward compatible?

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
I’m looking at getting a new monitor, I chose the Dell 27 Gaming Monitor: S2719DGF. I’m also going to buy a DisplayPort for it, it said it was a DisplayPort 1.2, I thought maybe I could get a DisplayPort 1.4, because it was the same price and my graphics card had displayport 1.4, also if I need a DisplayPort for something else I could go beyond what a DisplayPort 1.2 could do. I asked a question on amazon, and I looked it up, it said that DisplayPort were backward compatible, but I got an answer on amazon that said that you can only use a DisplayPort 1.2, a DisplayPort 1.4 will not work. So I’m torn now, could I use a DisplayPort 1.4, or should I get a displayport1.2? I want a 1.4, but I don’t know if the monitor will work with it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's no such thing as DP v1.2 or v1.4 cable, that is just marketing. Long as the cable is HBR2 or 3 and certified by Vesa, you'll have no problems connecting copper wires between devices. Displayport versions is actually the port version a monitor or graphics card has, and as said, Displayport versions are backwards compatible.