Question Are DRAM-less SATA SSDs worth it ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I am looking at this SSD, It is DRAM-Less...Without DRAM it wears out faster hence the 3 years warranty ? it also runs slower ?

is HMB only for NVMe SSDs or SATA drives can use system memory as well ? Can the SSD in the link use system memory ?

Any recommendations in this price range ? Looking for a 1TB SSD drive with DRAM, 5 years warranty and good TBW...

zipspyder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
  • 3D NAND TLC Enhanced Read and Write Speeds: Sequential Read Speed up to 550MB/s and Write Speed up to 490MB/s, the advanced SLC Cache Technology allows performance boost and longer lifespan
  • An industry-leading 1,000,000 hours mean time before failure (MTBF) and up to 800TB Written (TBW, Terabyte Written) for enhanced reliability]

You'll be just fine with that SSD in the link.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
If endurance is your priority, and if you are good at ebay, there are so many overstock or off duty datacenter 960 GB SATA drives for your budget. They are just much better drives in all angles (minus warranty) Ask for CDI readings before you buy. No CDI no deal

Edit: desktop only though... these datacenter drives drain laptop batteries faster (not as fast as spinners)

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
MX500 is rated 360TBW and is way cheaper than 870 EVO which has a 600TBW endurance ... Does the Samsung one last longer ?
The TBW endurance is mostly irrelevant in consumer use.

This is like comparing 2 cars:
Car A has a 5 year, 2 million mile warranty.
Car B has a 5 year, 3 million mile warranty.

In neither case will you ever get to that mileage.
Especially not before the warranty ages out at 5 years.

And the only way I'd use a "TIMETEC" is if you gave it to me for free.
Even then, I'd have to think about it.