[SOLVED] Are EVGA GPUs good? + 3070 or 3080 (budget is a factor)

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
Is EVGA a good brand when it comes to gpus, particularly a 3070 or 3080? I was wondering so, and another GPU question: Should I go for a 3070 - $500-800 or a 3080 - $700 - 900? trying to keep it as low as possible, I found a PNY 3080 for 779 so idk??

Solution
There is a $700 MSI Ventus 3X 3080 on Newegg, so maybe I should go for that, but I thought MSI didn't make good GPUs, also, the 3070s range at an average of $700 for me, with some higher-end ones going for $800 at etailers. 3070s: EVGA XC3 for $600, Gigabyte Eagle for $500, with OC version at $550, which I might go for. XC3 Ultra Gaming is $640, and FTW3 is $680. Should I go for a triple-fan, dual fan, or FE GPU? @Master Djoza @theonerm2
MSI doesnt make bad GPU's, its just that some people have had problems with it, like any other brand.
For 1080p, the 3070 is perfect.
3080 is more for the Ultra 1440p, high 4K settings in recent AAA games.
3 fan's are always better than 2, so go for the EVGA XC3 in my opinion, you...
My first dedicated graphics card that I ever bought was a PNY XLR8 GTX 460. It was a good graphics card in its day. It ran up until recently. It was bought in 2011. Lasted until 2020. No idea why it stopped working. But for a graphics card to last that long is pretty good. All I can really say about PNY is my GTX 460 lasted almost 10 years. That's through overclocking and hardcore gaming. Of course When I got my GTX 970 the GTX 460 was pretty much irrelevant. I've tried Zotac, PNY, EVGA, Asus, MSI, I've had a founder's edition GTX 1080... On the AMD side I've tried XFX and that's really it on the AMD side. I'm trying to think if I've tried any others... Can't think of more. EVGA is my favorite right now. Their cards seem to OC well and sometimes you get posters with the graphics card... At least you did in the Pascal days... I didn't get a poster with my EVGA RTX 3060 XC or my EVGA RTX 3070 Black. I think you need someone who has had a lot of experience with graphics cards to give you an answer. Also Asus has been pretty good in the past. I have no idea how they are now though. MSI seems OK too. Although I like Zotac more than MSI.

Between PNY and EVGA I'd get EVGA. It's just a better brand and you'll get a better quality card. If you're just looking for reliability and you don't mine I'd say it probably doesn't make much difference which brand you get. I would say more than likely you'll need to upgrade before you'll ever wanna use a 10 year warranty unless you get a free upgrade with the warranty. Which does happen sometimes but not always. Still it's good to have good customer service and a good warranty and EVGA does pretty good at that so I've heard. I have first hand experience with Asus in the RMA department. They did a good job. I had a bad GTX 1080 ti once.

I've had lot of graphics cards. Over $15,000 worth. I've sold a lot of them. A few I keep though. Mostly as mementos. You might say I have an addiction.

Also... JUMP ON THAT RTX 3080 for $779. It's hard to find ANY RTX 3080 at that price. Heck I haven't even got to try out the RTX 3080 yet.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
noted on the 3080 side, again, some more questions arise, one thing I've been wondering is how to vertically mount a GPU, and a big one in my mind, is the difference between a Kraken z73 and x73, is it worth the LCD screen, z73 is supposed to have better cooling and quality due to how they make the water block? and I do believe this has been stated to me, but I'm blanking, what would you say is the best method of airflow in an NZXT H710i, and Corsair or NZXT AIO, Elite Capellix, or Kraken 360mm?
Also... JUMP ON THAT RTX 3080 for $779. It's hard to find ANY RTX 3080 at that price. Heck, I haven't even got to try out the RTX 3080 yet.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have owned several EVGA GTX cards, still have a 1080 now. They have stood up well and I have not had an issue with one.
I have had a couple of MSI GPU. One of them is a Gaming X that I use now. It has been a really good, solid card and has a nice looking backplate. The other I cannot recall the model of, it was white with the "frozr" fans and was really flexy and cheap feeling. It didn't last long.
I have had some AMD branded cards back in the HD series days. Each of them are WAY outdated and still working in systems today.
I have had decent luck with Gigabyte GPU, particularly in the low end. Up until recently I had a couple of the mini sized 750ti in daily use. They were little workhorses.

There are others but not sure all of them are relevant today.

Reactions: mxnty

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
There is a $700 MSI Ventus 3X 3080 on Newegg, so maybe I should go for that, but I thought MSI didn't make good GPUs, also, the 3070s range at an average of $700 for me, with some higher-end ones going for $800 at etailers. 3070s: EVGA XC3 for $600, Gigabyte Eagle for $500, with OC version at $550, which I might go for. XC3 Ultra Gaming is $640, and FTW3 is $680. Should I go for a triple-fan, dual fan, or FE GPU? @Master Djoza @theonerm2

MSI doesnt make bad GPU's, its just that some people have had problems with it, like any other brand.
For 1080p, the 3070 is perfect.
3080 is more for the Ultra 1440p, high 4K settings in recent AAA games.
3 fan's are always better than 2, so go for the EVGA XC3 in my opinion, you wont regret it.

Reactions: mxnty
Solution
Also another agree for using EVGA. All of their GPUs I've had worked flawlessly when I had them. I only had one GPU die on me, and while it was towards the end of the warranty period, EVGA sent me a new card anyway.

As far as which version of their card to get: Get an FTW if you plan on doing serious overclocking. Otherwise stick with an XC3. The main difference between the two is the XC3 uses the reference PCB, the FTW has a beefier VRM for overclocking.

Reactions: Dj0gany

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
I see, so it wouldn't be worth spending the extra $80 for FTW3? as a beginner builder, I hope to not OC. oh and there's a PNY Gaming X Revel for $680, so as a final question.
XC3 3070 - $600
XC3 ULTRA 3070 - $640
FTW3 - $680
PNY Revel - $680

which should I choose, to forward the choices?

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
oops, just realized I made a typo: XC3 is $600 on EVGA's site and XC3 Ultra is $630 on EVGA's site. FTW3 is $680 on EVGA's site and FTW3 Ultra is $700 Newegg. I won't OC, but I want to stay as cool as possible. I'll be playing at Medium settings on somewhat intensive games (Fortnite, a bit of COD, etc.) and I'll be getting a 240 Hz monitor soon. Which would be my best bet? I know it's not possible but what would be an estimate of these prices on Black Friday? @Master Djoza

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
oops, just realized I made a typo: XC3 is $600 on EVGA's site and XC3 Ultra is $630 on EVGA's site. FTW3 is $680 on EVGA's site and FTW3 Ultra is $700 Newegg. I won't OC, but I want to stay as cool as possible. I'll be playing at Medium settings on somewhat intensive games (Fortnite, a bit of COD, etc.) and I'll be getting a 240 Hz monitor soon. Which would be my best bet? I know it's not possible but what would be an estimate of these prices on Black Friday? @Master Djoza

my evga 3080 FTW3 ultra doesn't go over 60c, beast of a card

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
UPDATE FOR ANYONE THAT SEES THIS. thank you to all the people that read and helped me with my problems. I have gone with a EVGA card, specifically the EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti now that it is out. I also have a build planned and have all the parts so that’s another discussion I made if you want to check it out.

TRENDING THREADS