[SOLVED] are external hdd fast enough for recording?

May 29, 2020
my gf and i are looking to do some game recordings and the most convenient way would be with a capture card to my laptop. since it doesnt have a ton of space im looking at usb 3.0 hdd/ssd. are external hdd fast enough for recording 1080p 60fps? would it be better to just get an ssd. been looking at the external wd black d10 and some external ssds

Solution
My external HDD USB 3.0 connected to USB 3.0 port.... is achieving 100MB/s write speed (normal internal HDD Speed is 130-150MB/s) easy with just one usb cable (no other power cable)...I don't know about usb 2 but as long as you have good external HDD with 3.0 support connected to 3.0 USB you won't have any problems.
My external HDD USB 3.0 connected to USB 3.0 port.... is achieving 100MB/s write speed (normal internal HDD Speed is 130-150MB/s) easy with just one usb cable (no other power cable)...I don't know about usb 2 but as long as you have good external HDD with 3.0 support connected to 3.0 USB you won't have any problems.

Solution
May 29, 2020
thanks for the info!