Are factory overclocked cards different?

need_advice

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
As in are they any different from the normal stock cards? Is the factory overclock anything that a stock card cannot achieve if it's overclocked by its user? For example, i want to buy the Radeon HIS or XFX 5850 1GB video card. Should i wait for the overclock edition or could i easily overclock the stock card to the same levels as a factory overclock?

On this note, which is better for ATI cards, HIS or XFX?

Sorry to ask such a nooby question but i want to know if I'm spending my hard earned cash well.

Thank you.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Before buying any video card... ESPECIALLY the factory overclocked ones... I would read up on reviews that comment on temperatures and noise levels. That said, my XFX5850 seems to be an easy overclock. It's currently at stock speeds (long story!) but it gamed fine while overclocked... although I can't recall what speeds I used. Sorry :/ At this point if you can find a 5850 for a sensible price, buy it! I paid $259 for mine the week they launched so I feel like I got a deal.

need_advice

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks guys. That helps. Wow $259!? I'm going to pay $374 AUD. $259 USD in AUD is only like $279. Man are we Australians getting ripped off!