[SOLVED] Are Gigabyte PSUs trustworthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
ahh I see thanks for the link. Also do you think a 3600x/ 1650 super combo would be to much for it considering Johnnyguru said it wouldn’t be great with any decent gaming gpus? I’m currently under my budget so I can spend an extra 20 or so for a different PSU. Thanks for your time!
Everything in the computer depends on the power supply. A higher quality model made from a better platform with better components has less chance of having problems. Have a look at this model by Antec, based of the Seasonic Focus Gold platform. It's only $20 more and a better choice than the Gigabyte.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GCHN1F?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
Yeah that looks good. Most PSUs are good and function well, but there are some that aren't. As long as its a reputable brand, aka gigabyte, it'll be fine.
Really? This is based on what information? It looks good? Reputable brand?
  • There are plenty of reputable brands that make poor quality models.
  • Have you seen a comprehensive review of this exact model with teardown and component analysis?
  • Have you seen testing data to know if it delivers what it's supposed to?
  • Can it deliver full power above ambient temperatures?
  • Does it sound like an airplane propeller when under load?
According to our expert : @jonnyguru

It's a double forward, group regulated platform. So it's not something you want to use with any kind of decent gaming graphics card. On a Corsair scale, I would put it as equivalent to a CV550.

ref: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-gigabyte-p550b.3636895/

Last edited:

Joshua Fredricks

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
  • Have you seen a comprehensive review of this exact model with teardown and component analysis?
According to our resident expert : @jonnyguru

Boss man considering he didn't post some ebay 30$ see though 800 watt its a name brand psu in his budget and if he doesn't plan on doing crazy things with the computer it's perfect and a good price take a chill pill boss 🙂

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
According to our resident expert : @jonnyguru

ahh I see thanks for the link. Also do you think a 3600x/ 1650 super combo would be to much for it considering Johnnyguru said it wouldn’t be great with any decent gaming gpus? I’m currently under my budget so I can spend an extra 20 or so for a different PSU. Thanks for your time!

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
According to our expert : @jonnyguru

By "looks good" I mean it'll do. You don't need a high quality power supply at all. As long as its 80 plus something and has enough power, and won't blow up, it'll be fine. Its not like theres "cleaner" power, or more "high quality" power. It's all just electricity.

Everything in the computer depends on the power supply. A higher quality model made from a better platform with better components has less chance of having problems. Have a look at this model by Antec, based of the Seasonic Focus Gold platform. It's only $20 more and a better choice than the Gigabyte.

Reactions: JadeHarley
Solution

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
Sweet thanks man I appreciate it a ton. Definitely better safe than sorry. Don’t want to fry my new pc lol

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
Sorry for all the questions but could I have your thoughts on these two PSUs?
https://www.microcenter.com/product...-80-plus-bronze-atx-semi-modular-power-supply

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-80-plus-bronze-atx-semi-modular-power-supply

Both of those are lower budget models. Are you stuck buying from Microcenter only? I had a look there and they don't have much in-stock except low end and high end models. Not much in-between models to choose from. You don't really need a high end model for your listed specs but you don't want a low end model either. That's why I recommended the Antec. It's right in the middle. Check this list. If you stick to tiers 'A' or 'B' you should do ok. Tier 'C' would be a last resort due to budget.

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
Both of those are lower budget models. Are you stuck buying from Microcenter only? I had a look there and they don't have much in-stock except low end and high end models. Not much in-between models to choose from. You don't really need a high end model for your listed specs but you don't want a low end model either. That's why I recommended the Antec. It's right in the middle. Check this list. If you stick to tiers 'A' or 'B' you should do ok. Tier 'C' would be a last resort due to budget.
Sadly I wanted to stick with MC because of how much stuff I was planning on getting. For what ever reason when they deliver stuff to my complex I’ve had things get lost, taken to the rental office & lost in their junk for weeks. But if there’s no reliable options within my budget on MC I could just order the PSU from amazon since it’d only be 1 box

By "looks good" I mean it'll do. You don't need a high quality power supply at all. As long as its 80 plus something and has enough power, and won't blow up, it'll be fine. Its not like theres "cleaner" power, or more "high quality" power. It's all just electricity.

You don't need a high quality power supply at all.
Congrats! You win stupid statement of the day.

As long as its 80 plus something
Plenty of 80+ certified models out there that are poor quality. It's not a badge of quality. So much for that statement.

and has enough power, and won't blow up, it'll be fine.
I don't even know what to say to that it's so dumb.

Its not like theres "cleaner" power, or more "high quality" power. It's all just electricity.
So, apparently 12V regulation, inrush current, hold up time and ripple mean nothing. Ok, got it.

Literally everything you said was wrong, but you know best because as you said, "it's all just electricity."

Reactions: gdds_01

Endre

Reputable
Gigabyte is generally a good brand.
But the thing is that their name on a product is just a name, they don’t actually produce those parts themselves because they produce an extremely large variety of PC parts (motherboards, SSDs, monitors, RAM, PSUs etc.)
Gigabyte is possibly the best motherboard manufacturer.
But they can’t be the best in everything.

My advice is:
Buy from a brand that is best known for making PSUs (Corsair, EVGA, NZXT etc.)

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
Gigabyte is generally a good brand.
But the thing is that their name on a product is just a name, they don’t actually produce those parts themselves because they produce an extremely large variety of PC parts (motherboards, SSDs, monitors, RAM, PSUs etc.)
Gigabyte is possibly the best motherboard manufacturer.
But they can’t be the best in everything.

My advice is:
Buy from a brand that is best known for making PSUs (Corsair, EVGA, NZXT etc.)
Thanks for the advice! Sadly turns out even some of the EVGA and Corsair i cant trust lol. Build has quickly became a head ache

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Congrats! You win stupid statement of the day.

Plenty of 80+ certified models out there that are poor quality. It's not a badge of quality. So much for that statement.

I don't even know what to say to that it's so dumb.

So, apparently 12V regulation, inrush current, hold up time and ripple mean nothing. Ok, got it.

Literally everything you said was wrong, but you know best because as you said, "it's all just electricity."

Its just power. 12v power is 12v power, there is no "higher quality power"

80 plus certification doesn't guarantee any sort of quality, if it has one however, it is a threshold between Removed and "could be good, or could be ok"
I do know best, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

krsensei21

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
Well atleast you found out now rather than later. I can't find anything on MC I would recommend for your budget.
Yeah looks like ima gonna have to order one instead. trying to switch to a i5 build because i can get it for 160 then i could spend more on a PSU. If you have any you'd recommend for a 1650super or 1660ti and I5 comet lake id really appreciate it:D

bignastyid

Titan
Yeah looks like ima gonna have to order one instead. trying to switch to a i5 build because i can get it for 160 then i could spend more on a PSU. If you have any you'd recommend for a 1650super or 1660ti and I5 comet lake id really appreciate it:D
A CX450 would work, but wouldn't leave much room for future expansion. The 550w CX is ~$10 more @ $75. For $80 you can go up a notch with the Antec Gold pro.

Reactions: krsensei21
Status
Not open for further replies.