Question Are In Ear Headphones Bad for Ears

test_123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
Someone told me that in ear headphones are bad for your ears simply because having a physical object in the ear can causes pressure which can hurt your hearing. I always thought it was the music volume that hurt your hearing. Hence, if you wore in ear headphones without playing music in a quiet room then there would be zero harm. If having a physical object in ear causes damage, then simply sitting there without sound would damage hearing. Is there any truth to this?

I hope not, i ware a pair of shure 535 reds every day for 6-7 hours playing music. Every year we get a hearing test done (OSHA reasons) and my hearing get slightly better or stays the same each year.

Work issues foam ear plugs which are rated at 32db noise cancellation while my ear buds are rated at 33db, and a bonus is they also play music :D

Just dont be an idiot and blast music with in ear headphones and you will be fine.

test_123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
I hope not, i ware a pair of shure 535 reds every day for 6-7 hours playing music. Every year we get a hearing test done (OSHA reasons) and my hearing get slightly better or stays the same each year.

Work issues foam ear plugs which are rated at 32db noise cancellation while my ear buds are rated at 33db, and a bonus is they also play music :D

Just dont be an idiot and blast music with in ear headphones and you will be fine.
I have Tinnitus from being an idiot and blasting music. Now, I try to protect my remaining hearing. I googled the Shure. They look nice,

Ralston18

Titan
"I have Tinnitus from being an idiot and blasting music. Now, I try to protect my remaining hearing. I googled the Shure. They look nice,"

All the more reason (as has been suggested) to see a doctor.

And when it comes to protecting your hearing looking "nice" is far less important.

Never let form get in the way of function.