Are Intel Integrated Graphics Chips Good For Anything?

carpenma

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I have an intel gpu in my current laptop and it has trouble running the most basic 3D graphics. Getting into 3D animation as I am this has become a big problem. I am now in the market for a new laptop. The problem is that whenever I find one that I really like that fits my price range it ends up having intel integrated. Are there any intel graphics chips that are good for gaming and 3D work? Oh and getting an AMD powered laptop is not an option. Thank you very much.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Consider selling your laptop and buying one with at least a 9600M GPU. They're around $700 but for $800, here's one with a 9800Gm GPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152095R

If you have $1400 for a new laptop then you can aford one with a GTX 260M.

gomi

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
why is ATI not an option? Do you hate them that much? You can get a ATI or Nvidia integrated graphics card on a new laptop which is much better than anything Intel has right now.

carpenma

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I have connections at Intel, that's why I don't want to get an AMD powered laptop. If there are Intel powered laptops with ATI graphics I would love that, I've got ATI in my desktop now.

-Matt

G

Actually the latest X4000HD Intel integrated graphics can play high def. But not much more. Although they are officially direct x 10 compatible, when tested with modenish games such as Crysis it had to be played at mostly lowest settings and white dots appeared on the screen.

So if possible get a laptop with an old generation ATI or Nvidea card rather than intel. Unfortunately Im stuck with mine as its a work laptop. What a waste: Fast dual core processor, 4GB of ram and shitty Intel graphics. The only plus side is was that is was free!