Question Are IPS panels really worth the extra money?

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
I’m debating between buying two monitors, the ASUS ROG PG279Q, and the Dell S2417DG. The Dell monitor is around $250 cheaper than the ASUS monitor, and provides everything that the ASUS monitor has, except it has a TN panel (the ASUS monitor has an IPS panel), and it’s smaller (which I don’t really care about as long as it doesn’t affect displau performance). Is it worth pitching in the extra money? Or should I stick with the TN panel Dell monitor for a significantly cheaper price?

personally, yes IPS is better from colour perspective, the size might actually be an issue for anything but gaming. 24inch is small for 1440p, so small that you may need to apply scaling in windows to make things readable (which kind of defeats the point). I'm running a laptop on 4k, and having to scale it so it's a bit worse than 1440p, stupid mistake buying it, but that alternative was 1080p which isn't enough for productivity any more.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
I have to agree with @13thmonkey . IPS colors are much more alive than the colors of a TN panel. I have two 27inch 1080p LG monitors and they just look amazing. 2k or 4k obviously will look even better! One thing to consider is that most IPS panels have a higher response time. TN panels usually have 1ms (if you look at gaming monitors) and IPS usually have 5ms response time. Of course there are IPS panels with a lower response time, but they will cost a lot more money. I wouldn't go any higher than 5ms response time because that's really a pain in the ass while gaming.

At the end of the day it's your decision of course. But IPS panels just look better than TN panels.