[SOLVED] Are laptop HDDs available in capacities larger than 2TB? What is the largest storage capacity available for laptop HDD?

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
I want to replace my laptop's 1TB HDD with something much larger but a friend of mine told me that laptop hard drives aren't available in capacities larger than 2TB. My laptop has only one HDD slot so I want to get a very larger HDD. Am I limited to 2TB? Thank you.

Solution
I want to replace my laptop's 1TB HDD with something much larger but a friend of mine told me that laptop hard drives aren't available in capacities larger than 2TB. My laptop has only one HDD slot so I want to get a very larger HDD. Am I limited to 2TB? Thank you.
5TB
https://www.amazon.com/Fantom-Drives-Barracuda-ST5000LM000-Converter/dp/B07NX8RKH4

You might run into a thickness issue. 2.5" drives come in 3 thicknesses.
7mm, 9.5mm, 15mm.

The linked Seagate is 15mm, and might not fit in some laptops.

A 2TB will generally be the 9.5mm, and fit in anything that already has an HDD.
An SSD would probably be 7mm.

USAFRet

Titan
5TB
https://www.amazon.com/Fantom-Drives-Barracuda-ST5000LM000-Converter/dp/B07NX8RKH4

You might run into a thickness issue. 2.5" drives come in 3 thicknesses.
7mm, 9.5mm, 15mm.

The linked Seagate is 15mm, and might not fit in some laptops.

A 2TB will generally be the 9.5mm, and fit in anything that already has an HDD.
An SSD would probably be 7mm.

Solution

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry, I should have clarified. Specifically, I was told that 2.5" HDD are not available in capacities larger than 2TB. Is this true? Unfortunately, I don't yet know the thickness of my current HDD. I'm looking to increase storage capacity beyond 4TB.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry, I should have clarified. Specifically, I was told that 2.5" HDD are not available in capacities larger than 2TB. Is this true? Unfortunately, I don't yet know the thickness of my current HDD. I'm looking to increase storage capacity beyond 4TB.
As linked above....2.5" format HDD are absolutely available in larger than 2TB.
Up to 5TB.

Putting it in a laptop may be problematic, due to the thickness.
15mm vs 9.5mm vs 7mm.

What is currently in there is almost certainly 9.5mm.

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Thanks everyone. I just realized I never mentioned what brand and model I have. It's a SAGER NP8378F2-S (CLEVO PB71DF2-G). I'm not confident opening up this particular laptop so I'm going to go to a computer repair guy and see what they can do.