[SOLVED] Are laptops in general slower than PC's?

saulessturi

Commendable
Nov 10, 2017
Are laptops slower then pc's? Me and my friend have pretty simmilar pc specs, but he is on a pc, while i'm on a laptop. We both have a 1060 6gb video card, 8 gb ram but he has a slightly better cpu then i have. I have a i5 8300H. In GTA V on max settings he runs about 90-110 fps, while i have 30-50. Why is that? I have already went to power settings and selected high performance mode, not balanced or power saving mode. He says, that its just because i have a laptop. Is it true?

Solution
it is. while you have 1060 cards, yours is clocked lower and uses less power. your CPU is also clocked lower and uses less power, both decrease performance.

due to heat and power issues, laptop parts are lower performance.
If all the hardware in a laptop and a desktop were exactly the same electronically, and the temps etc were the same...they should perform exactly the same.

...but many times laptop hardware is clocked lower....and many times there are temp issues that cause throttling.

saulessturi

Commendable
Nov 10, 2017
it is. while you have 1060 cards, yours is clocked lower and uses less power. your CPU is also clocked lower and uses less power, both decrease performance.

due to heat and power issues, laptop parts are lower performance.
Is it possible to clock the parts? Because, while im playing, the laptop doesnt get very hot or loud, so im sure, that i can clock it a little bit without damaging it.

If all the hardware in a laptop and a desktop were exactly the same electronically, and the temps etc were the same...they should perform exactly the same.

...but many times laptop hardware is clocked lower....and many times there are temp issues that cause throttling.
Plus they’re not always the same, it’s not uncommon for laptop parts to be a completely different spec

Are you plugged in while gaming?
By default, on battery power you will use integrated graphics and lower cpu performance to conserve battery run time.

Laptop coolers must be small and weigh little. As such, they do not cool well.
High temperatures will result in lower performance due to throttling.
All you can do about that is to keep the cooling airways clean.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
that its just because i have a laptop. Is it true?
Basically. In a laptop you have limited power consumption and cooling capabilities, so you don't have the same opportunity as say a desktop that can deliver and cool hundreds of watts. The compromise is a lower frequency ceiling and consumption constraints that effectively don't allow your parts to reach the same performance level.