Are Lenovo/Medion Laptops trustworthy?

Mar 14, 2021
Hello All!

I have recently bought, Medion Notebook MD63780 Ryzen 4300U from Aldi and I am wondering if it is safe for me to use it for online banking/payments?

I have found an article about Lenovo (Medion is part of the Lenovo group) which claims the following:

1st article:
*Is Lenovo trustworthy?
It's not just bad: it's flawed. Whether drivers, workarounds, or bloatware, Lenovo has a terrible record for protecting its users. Repeatedly, the point is underlined: if you value security and privacy, Lenovo PCs and laptops are not safe.*

2nd article:
*Lenovo PCs and Laptops seems to have hidden a rootkit in their BIOS

The Chinese computer and laptop maker, Lenovo is once again in the eye of the storm after users have found that their PCs/Laptops are shipped with a hidden backdoor at the BIOS level. Earlier in the year, it was found that all Lenovo PCs/Laptops are shipped with a spyware called Superfish.*

I have formatted the HDD and installed a new fresh copy of Windows + Kaspersky Total security + AMD drivers from the official AMD website.

I was planning on using it for online banking/ebay and my email, and that was pretty much all, now I am not entirely sure if it would be safe if the hardware is flawed in someway?

Any comments and help would be highly appreciated!

Thank you!

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Medion, in general, isn't all that good, rather low-quality stuff. If a foreign government wanted to spy it would be in hopes of getting units in the hands of government employees and the military, they would get nothing useful from spying on an average citizen doing their daily routines.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t buy a Medion. My dad bought one for basic web surfing and Solitaire. A Windows update about a year later caused WiFi driver issues, tried many ways to resolve and no luck. The laptop is now unused and has been for a few years. They never released any driver updates for the laptop. A laptop that was a year old and it had zero driver support.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I wouldn’t buy a Medion. My dad bought one for basic web surfing and Solitaire. A Windows update about a year later caused WiFi driver issues, tried many ways to resolve and no luck. The laptop is now unused and has been for a few years. They never released any driver updates for the laptop. A laptop that was a year old and it had zero driver support.
You didn't take it apart? All of the Medion units brought to me for service used a M.2 based module with some generic card. You can just swap that out for an Intel-based module with better driver support and a more stable Bluetooth connection for $18.

Reactions: sizzling
You didn't take it apart? All of the Medion units brought to me for service used a M.2 based module with some generic card. You can just swap that out for an Intel-based module with better driver support and a more stable Bluetooth connection for $18.
Actually no I never did, I did not think think of this. Once we are out of lockdown and I can meet up with my dad I will take a look. Thanks.