Are mid level Ryzen CPU's an upgrade over an i5-4690k?

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
Im beginning to feel like my i5-4690k is showing its age a bit in games like assassins creed origins and GTAV. Im probably not gonna be upgrading for another year but im trying to explore my options.

Would something like a Ryzen 1600(X) be a worthy upgrade or am i better off just waiting for a while?

Solution
Ryzen is an upgrade over the 4690k only some of the time when it comes to gaming. Games that scale well across lots of cores like Battlefield 1 or Assassin's Creed Origins will see a boost with more cores and threads. GTA might see an improvement too, but mostly only if you're using the Self Radio in the urban areas where CPU usage goes up through the roof for no reason. Games that don't scale well across lots of cores and are more single threaded focused like say Far Cry 4 will actually be a bit slower on Ryzen due to 4.0GHz being Ryzen's maximum possible overclock.

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015

Complete Specs
i5-4690k @4.4Ghz
1070 G1 Gaming
16GB DDR3 @2133MHz

I can run the games "decent" but i feel like it could be better. I can run gta on pretty damn high settings if i sacrifice view distance but i wish i didnt have to do that.

Assassins creed Origins wouldnt hit 60fps for more than 2 minutes unless it was on low.

Ryzen is an upgrade over the 4690k only some of the time when it comes to gaming. Games that scale well across lots of cores like Battlefield 1 or Assassin's Creed Origins will see a boost with more cores and threads. GTA might see an improvement too, but mostly only if you're using the Self Radio in the urban areas where CPU usage goes up through the roof for no reason. Games that don't scale well across lots of cores and are more single threaded focused like say Far Cry 4 will actually be a bit slower on Ryzen due to 4.0GHz being Ryzen's maximum possible overclock.

Solution

What resolution are you running at? That GTX-1070 should be doing 60fps on high or ultimate with AC: Origins at 1080p, even with that i5.

I take it you haven't actually played AC: Origins with an i5 that only has 4 cores and 4 threads. The game is insanely CPU heavy and needs at minimum 4 cores and 8 threads to hit a consistent 60FPS in all areas, with 6+ cores recommended. I had a 6600k overclocked to 4.4GHz and I was getting drops into the 40s when going through Alexandria. CPU bottlenecking wasn't an issue outside of the big cities, but enter the cities and the CPU becomes a big limiting factor if you don't have a lot of cores and threads to throw at the game.

I have to admit I haven't. I have an i7-5820k to play with.