[SOLVED] Are my CoreTemp readings correct and what can I do to fix them?

Send_Help

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020
Hi everyone. Thanks to some people on this forum I successfully built a pc that POSTs and set up some sort of cooling. Here is my setup and problem:

Relevant specs: Ryzen 3900x, RTX 2080s OC, 750W Seasonic Gold PSU, 2x DDR4 16GB
Cooling: front intake ML360 AIO, one noctua fan on top and rear respectively as exhaust in corsair carbide 275r case
Problem: when I started installing programs and getting to like 3% load on my CPU, I was getting temps as high as 63c using CoreTemp.

Not sure what to do. I hate this case and if people think it helps I will buy a bigger case that can accommodate more fans and allow me to place the aio as top exhaust. I'm not nearly competent enough to install a new cooler on my GPU.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Solution
You are thinking you own an intel, a small one at that. The 3900x is a hot running cpu, so hitting 60's and upto 70°C isn't unusual. It'll be rare if you hit higher since boost clocks and voltages will lower.

Liquid cooling isn't magic. It won't somehow magically make a cpu cooler just because it's bigger. That's not how it works.

Temp is a measure of the fans efficiency, that relates to how well the fan performs at any given rpm. Historically RGB/ARGB fans are somewhat worse than non-lighted fans. Has to do with smaller motors, different blade compositions etc.

Size is a measure of capacity. A 120mm rad and a 360mm rad will perform the same if well within the 120mm wattage range. It's only when approaching max saturation that the...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3% load is idle loads, so I'm not sure how installing a program with a 3% load can hit that temp.

There's very little difference overall between front mounted AIO's and top mounted. Front mount shows slightly lower cpu temps and slightly higher gpu temps with a normal push orientation. Top mount shows the opposite. Usually around 3-5°C either way.

It's a 3900x, they run hot anyways regardless of cooling.

Reactions: Send_Help

Send_Help

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020
3% load is idle loads, so I'm not sure how installing a program with a 3% load can hit that temp.

There's very little difference overall between front mounted AIO's and top mounted. Front mount shows slightly lower cpu temps and slightly higher gpu temps with a normal push orientation. Top mount shows the opposite. Usually around 3-5°C either way.

Dang, ok thanks. If I run the benchmarks listed above and I'm still running hot would you say a more spacious case or more intake fans could shave off say 5 degrees?

Send_Help

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020
I would check temps with either HWInfo or Ryzenmaster. Then put your cpu under some load. Like Cinebench R20 or some demanding game and lets see what happens. Under idle single cores can have voltage and temp peaks that are normal. Lets see if you really got a problem.

I used Hardware Monitor and played No Mans Sky at 3/4 max settings. I didnt know how to have the temp readouts overlay my display but the historical max during gameplay was 70 for one core, between 50-65 on other cores, and would be between 30 and 40 when I ctrl-alted into HWM. I'm guessing this is within tolerances? Is there any way to easily improve it? Also the game did stutter a few times at first.

Thank you!

Edit: for what it's worth, ambient temps were pretty low.

Send_Help

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020

I thought I wrote a longer response but dont see it. TLDR thanks for the info.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are thinking you own an intel, a small one at that. The 3900x is a hot running cpu, so hitting 60's and upto 70°C isn't unusual. It'll be rare if you hit higher since boost clocks and voltages will lower.

Liquid cooling isn't magic. It won't somehow magically make a cpu cooler just because it's bigger. That's not how it works.

Temp is a measure of the fans efficiency, that relates to how well the fan performs at any given rpm. Historically RGB/ARGB fans are somewhat worse than non-lighted fans. Has to do with smaller motors, different blade compositions etc.

Size is a measure of capacity. A 120mm rad and a 360mm rad will perform the same if well within the 120mm wattage range. It's only when approaching max saturation that the 360mm greater wattage capacity keeps things cooler. So at 65w, theres almost no discernable difference, at 165w the 120mm has let the cpu go into shutdown and the 360mm is barely warm.

Honestly your temps gaming aren't really anything to worry about. If you did a Prime95 small fft stress with AVX disabled, you'll be hitting close to, if not at, @ 90°C.

Solution

Send_Help

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020

Size is a measure of capacity. A 120mm rad and a 360mm rad will perform the same if well within the 120mm wattage range. It's only when approaching max saturation that the 360mm greater wattage capacity keeps things cooler. So at 65w, theres almost no discernable difference, at 165w the 120mm has let the cpu go into shutdown and the 360mm is barely warm.

Honestly your temps gaming aren't really anything to worry about. If you did a Prime95 small fft stress with AVX disabled, you'll be hitting close to, if not at, @ 90°C.

Thanks that's a lot of info. Given what you said about fans would it be insane to add extra fans and connect them to the PSU and have them run at 100% if idc about noise?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes and no. You have an AIO, so airflow regarding keeping cool air flowing through a aircooler heatsink isn't all that important, the gpu is the only real consideration.

For that, what's important is air-Flow. The gpu only needs air to it, the exhaust hits the side of the case and goes up. With 2x exhaust fans in that corner, there's plenty. Adding fans can actually be a detriment as they can disrupt the Flow of air, creating hot-spots.

So it's not the amount of fans, it's their placement and orientation that's a higher priority.

3 in front, 2 out back. No worries.

If you add any fans, I'd stick them on the back side of the radiator, push/pull config. This gives better flow through the rad at any rpm level, and the side benefit being directed air from the interior fans directly to the gpu.

Under loads, this should drop cpu temps by 2+°C and gpu temps will drop further.

Send_Help

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020
Yes and no. You have an AIO, so airflow regarding keeping cool air flowing through a aircooler heatsink isn't all that important, the gpu is the only real consideration.

For that, what's important is air-Flow. The gpu only needs air to it, the exhaust hits the side of the case and goes up. With 2x exhaust fans in that corner, there's plenty. Adding fans can actually be a detriment as they can disrupt the Flow of air, creating hot-spots.

So it's not the amount of fans, it's their placement and orientation that's a higher priority.

If you add any fans, I'd stick them on the back side of the radiator, push/pull config. This gives better flow through the rad at any rpm level, and the side benefit being directed air from the interior fans directly to the gpu.

Under loads, this should drop cpu temps by 2+°C and gpu temps will drop further.

Wait, right now my config is back to front xyz where z is front case cover, y is radiator, x is intake/pull fans. There's no space in my case to put fans between y the radiator and z the case cover i.e. on the front of the radiator. Are you saying have fans on either side of the radiator? That's impossible in my case but I'm happy to get one that could accommodate it.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
All in all your temps are ok. This little test was just to show if you got something concerning going on, like a failing or incorrectly mounted cooler.
Now you can concentrate on the little things to improve temps like the others already mentioned.

Send_Help

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020
Lol, nothing is impossible. If there is no room in front of the frame for a fan, you can mount a fan inside, then rad, then fan on the back.

The only thing stopping that picture would be if there was too little space after the gpu.

XYXZ

That's pretty damn cool I didnt know the radiator weight could be supported by the fans. I think the gpu gets in the way but all the more reason to buy a new case. In this set up do I care about the whole static pressure debate that I've sort of read about?

Send_Help

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020
All in all your temps are ok. This little test was just to show if you got something concerning going on, like a failing or incorrectly mounted cooler.
Now you can concentrate on the little things to improve temps like the others already mentioned.

Thanks, much appreciated. I was really hoping that without OCing and with the set up I had I could get just below average temps rather than just above average. I guess that was overly optimistic.