Question Are my data problems caused by failing HD?

vissenkop

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
Recently I'm experiencing a lot of problems with my system (windows 10 running on an SSD drive) and I'm on the trail of a failing data HD (internal 2TB), but not sure about this.

• Some torrents gave the "redundancy check error" after being 100% finished in Utorrent
  • Explorer often crashes when transferring data
  • When I try moving some data to an external HD, sometimes it just stops in the process or transfers at a few kb/sec
  • Movies that are on my HD hang/freeze when I play them and when I reboot my system, the problems are gone for a bit, but not long
  • When the system doesn't run smooth or explorer crashes, my HD makes a humming noise

I've searched for ways to check my drive's health, but all simple tests say all is good. I've run a scan with HDDScan, but that doesn't really help me further. Am I searching in the wrong place or can anyone give me some advice on how to check my HD?

Thanks a lot!

vissenkop

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
I'd run CrystalDIskInfo on the drive, which will allow you to check it's general health, and if there are any reallocated /bad sectors beginning to show up on said drive.

(pick the Standard Installer)
https://crystalmark.info/en/download/

Thanks for the tip! How should I interpret the result? Does this mean that the drive has bad sectors that are not reparable and should I buy a new one and get rid of this one? I have already backed up my data on an external disk and a cloud location.

Also: is the failing HD the cause of all these problems and errors ocurring as described above?

Last edited: