Are my DIM4100 CDRW/DVD(RW?) option limited?

My DIM4100 has a Samsung SM-308B CDRW/DVD drive, which won't recognise
any disks. I'd like to get a new drive which will allow writing to
DVD's. Are there any restrictions or limitations I need to know about,
or can I fit any IDE drive of this type?
TIA,
Lila

On 17 May 2005 09:53:47 -0700, "LilaDuncan" <LilaDuncan@gmail.com>
wrote:

>My DIM4100 has a Samsung SM-308B CDRW/DVD drive, which won't recognise
>any disks. I'd like to get a new drive which will allow writing to
>DVD's. Are there any restrictions or limitations I need to know about,
>or can I fit any IDE drive of this type?
>TIA,
>Lila

I upgraded my dim 4100 about 6 months ago to a Pioneer DVR-A08XL DVD
burner. The software that came with it was a little flacky and the CD
was damaged or something, but I finally got it successfully installed
and the unit has since worked flawlessly for backups and general
burning to CD's and DVD's. I think the latest version of this drive
is now at A09, but would still probably work well (you might even find
the A08 on sale somewhere).

My samsung DVD ROM that came with the machine was on the way out also
and never did run DVD movies very well. The Pioneer along with a
slightly better video card solved that problem well too.

Just a note: I installed the DVD burner on the secondary IDE channel
along with a previously installed plexwriter cd burner both with cable
select settings. I still have a single hard drive on the primary
channel, but had to replace the original 20 GIG unit just before the
DVD burner upgrade since it was failing. I put an 80 GIG unit in and
it works flawlessly and quicker also. Brought my old tired machine
back life like I couldn't remember.

Tom