Are my internet speed drops normal?

noahmorgans

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Over the last few days I've been noticing very bad and laggy internet on my computer. I just tested today and it the download was around 20 mbps when it would usually be about 40 mbps. But, I checked on my phone and was getting 100 mbps when I usually get around 100. Is this normal? What can I do to fix it?

Solution
Is your computer on wi-fi or ethernet?

Since the phone is 100Mbps apparently it sounds like the PC is on wi-fi but has a shitty wi-fi card or USB stick.

It's not the internet since the phone works thus it's your PC. I use the program "SPEEDTEST."

At this point you could try:
1) Ethernet
2) buy a different wi-fi card/USB
3) swap your card/USB wi-fi to another PC to see if the issue remains

*Having said that, you should be able to monitor signal strength so unless that's pretty LOW (bad antennae?) I wouldn't expect that to be the problem.
Is your computer on wi-fi or ethernet?

Since the phone is 100Mbps apparently it sounds like the PC is on wi-fi but has a shitty wi-fi card or USB stick.

It's not the internet since the phone works thus it's your PC. I use the program "SPEEDTEST."

At this point you could try:
1) Ethernet
2) buy a different wi-fi card/USB
3) swap your card/USB wi-fi to another PC to see if the issue remains

*Having said that, you should be able to monitor signal strength so unless that's pretty LOW (bad antennae?) I wouldn't expect that to be the problem.

Solution