Question Are my mcp temps ok?

liso4ka lol

Prominent
Apr 25, 2019
guy i have asrock m3n78d fx mobo with a fx8370E and a gtx 960
i was monitoring cpu temps on aida today but i noticed that MCP temp is avg 76C and i have no idea if thats too hot or good and can it cause any dmg and also if there are ways to fix it besides sticking a huge fan on top of it

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The MCP (multi Chip Package) you are referring to is probably the south bridge. That would be the chip under the large silver heatsink near the bottom of the board. In fact, I don't see a north bridge on that board. So it's possible both the NB and SB may be under that long heatsink.

I suspect either the heat sink is loose or the thermal interface material (TIM) under it is dried out and not transferring heat as it should. The south bridge gets hot, but that seems like hotter than it should be. Mid to upper 70s (C) would be what I would consider normal under load.

liso4ka lol

Prominent
Apr 25, 2019
The MCP (multi Chip Package) you are referring to is probably the south bridge. That would be the chip under the large silver heatsink near the bottom of the board. In fact, I don't see a north bridge on that board. So it's possible both the NB and SB may be under that long heatsink.

I suspect either the heat sink is loose or the thermal interface material (TIM) under it is dried out and not transferring heat as it should. The south bridge gets hot, but that seems like hotter than it should be. Mid to upper 70s (C) would be what I would consider normal under load.
oof 81 under load ok so yeah southbridge what do i do replace termal paste ?

liso4ka lol

Prominent
Apr 25, 2019

btw just to say thats been like that for 4- months and hadnt given me any problems

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It might be hard to tell since the board is mounted in the case, but do you know if the heatsink is held in place with pushpins or screws? Try gently wiggling it to see if it is loose. If you have to change the TIM or pads, you'll have to remove the board from the case anyway. Judging from the picture, it appears to be a push pin mount.

Why not try a different temp pgm before doing anything. Sometimes they generalize the temp sensors too much. You never really know for sure what sensor they are reading. And the SB heatsink does indeed get hot. Sometimes too hot to touch. Depends on what you are doing.