[SOLVED] Are my monitors dying?

Mar 3, 2020
Hey! First post here.

A few days ago my monitors started acting up, never done this before and have always been fine. One of them randomly goes static and only stops if I turn the monitor off and on again, the other one goes black and comes back on randomly for a few seconds multiple times. It doesn't happen constantly, but it does happen at least 2-3 times a day while using my PC. I've checked the cables, none of them are loose, one uses a DVI and the other uses a HDMI. My power supplies are fine, everything is fine, does this mean my monitors are dying? I've them for around 6 years now and they have constant use everyday.

I've also done a bunch of things like updating all my drivers, windows updates, the lot, nothing has fixed it.

Solution
My GPU is fine tho, no issues at all in any other way. I bought these monitors 6 years ago at the exact same time.

After thinking about your original post. If one of the monitors is having a problem. Making Windows think it has lost it's connection. Even momentarily. The other will go black. That's the behavior of Windows as it readjusts the desktop layout when adding or removing monitors. Simply because it takes a moment to readjust the layout. If it is doing so multiple times in succession it could be losing the connection, adjusting the desktop, acquiring the connection and adjusting the desktop again.

That's only a reasoned guess though. Only trial and error can confirm which monitor is the problem or if it is likely the...
Mar 7, 2020
Hey! First post here.

A few days ago my monitors started acting up, never done this before and have always been fine. One of them randomly goes static and only stops if I turn the monitor off and on again, the other one goes black and comes back on randomly for a few seconds multiple times. It doesn't happen constantly, but it does happen at least 2-3 times a day while using my PC. I've checked the cables, none of them are loose, one uses a DVI and the other uses a HDMI. My power supplies are fine, everything is fine, does this mean my monitors are dying? I've them for around 6 years now and they have constant use everyday.

I've also done a bunch of things like updating all my drivers, windows updates, the lot, nothing has fixed it.
I hate to tell you this, but they are. I’ve been poisoning them every day when you’re not around. For 6 years I’ve exposed them to unscrupulous amounts of newer tech, nicer metals, bezels, and legs that go on for days.

My GPU is fine tho, no issues at all in any other way. I bought these monitors 6 years ago at the exact same time.

After thinking about your original post. If one of the monitors is having a problem. Making Windows think it has lost it's connection. Even momentarily. The other will go black. That's the behavior of Windows as it readjusts the desktop layout when adding or removing monitors. Simply because it takes a moment to readjust the layout. If it is doing so multiple times in succession it could be losing the connection, adjusting the desktop, acquiring the connection and adjusting the desktop again.

That's only a reasoned guess though. Only trial and error can confirm which monitor is the problem or if it is likely the GPU. Probabilities are low that any two devices are failing simultaneously. Outside of an external cause. Such as a power surge.

First reinstall your graphics drivers and see if that stops the problem. For the heck of it run SFC /scannow in an elevated Command Prompt (admin priviliges) also CHKDSK /F (may require reboot). These probably won't fix it but they won't hurt. Plus will make sure your drivers are updated and system is relatively stable.

As one monitor randomly goes static. That monitor is the most likely culprit. I can only suggest disconnecting it. Then use the computer with one screen. Until you are satisfied the problem is no longer occurring. If it still occurs then swap monitors and try again. If it stops, replace the faulty screen.

Now if the problem occurs with either screen as the solitary screen you have a few choices.
  • Create an Ubuntu installer USB. Use that as your boot drive for a while to see if the problem occurs in another OS. To completely exonerate your current OS.
  • Make one last hail mary before spending money. By performing a clean reinstall of Windows.
  • Replace the GPU or replace the monitors. At this point you can only guess the likely source. Although probability would point at the GPU.
  • Replace both
  • Live with it until something definitively fizzles out.

Solution