[SOLVED] Are my motherboard's ram slots dead?

idan_k

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
I am trying to build a computer with the old parts I own but when I turn the pc on it only stays on for about 5 seconds then powers off then turns back on then back off again in a cycle. The parts are 4 to 5 years old but when I built my new pc about 7 months ago the parts were working perfectly fine. I am pretty sure the reason for the on and off cycle is the ram. When I leave the ram out the pc stays on fine but when I plug the two ram sticks in the pc won't stay on for longer than 5 seconds. I don't think it is the ram that is bad because I tried two other sticks and the pc did the same thing. I tried only putting one stick of ram in but the same thing happens the pc just turns on and off. I did this with both sticks and it still didn't work. I changed the CMOS battery and reset the bios but still nothing worked. I even tried using another cpu I had but the problem still occurred when only when I had the ram plugged in. Does this mean the ram slots on my motherboard are dead or is there another reason? I am just assuming it is the motherboard because all the other parts work. If the slots are dead is there anyway to fix this or do I need to buy a new motherboard? The motherboard I am using is an ASUS TUF z270 mark 2 and the cpu is an i5-7500. The ram is Patriot Viper 2x4gb.

Solution
if you have tested each DIMM slot individually and
you have verified that ALL other components, cables, etc are functioning as they should by trying them in a working system
than it would mean the motherboard is faulty.

idan_k

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
What is your PSU and storage?
Power supply is a Thermaltake smart series 700w 80 plus. The only storage I had plugged in was a 250gb samsung 860 evo ssd. I tried with and without the ssd plugged into the motherboard and power supply but the pc only turned off and on when ram was installed didn't matter what else was plugged in.