[SOLVED] Are my parts compatible and oc friendly? 10700k, z490 tomahawk, h150i, etc.

Jun 7, 2020
FD meshify S2 case

msi z490 tomahawk

i7 10700k

(4x8) g.skill tridentz 32 gb qc ram 3600 mhz c16-19-19-19-39

Corsair hydro 150i (360 rad placed at the top I guess)

up to 6 extra noctua NF-a14 PW 140mm fans to fill the empty spots / replacing the standard case coolers perhaps. (I don't need any at the top duo to the radiator filling the fan spaces, right?

2x m.2 ssds

850 watt PSU

GTX 1080 (I'll replace it later this year when prices fall / whatever happens with the upcoming graphic cards).

And as I mentioned, I want to overclock the cpu at least, hence why I'll buy this expensive cooler, which might be a bit overkill, maybe?

I have researched the parts quite a bit, but I am definitely not an expert, so I'd appreciate the comments.

Solution
Compatible, yes.
OC friendly, no.
The H150i Pro is a silence-focused AIO. You will be disappointed by the thermals with overclocked loads.
Alternative: H150i Pro XT.
Jun 7, 2020
OC friendly, no.
The H150i Pro is a silence-focused AIO. You will be disappointed by the thermals with overclocked loads.
Alternative: H150i Pro XT.

Thanks, it's stuff like that where I'm lost.
The version I listed even costs quite a bit more than the XT version, lol.
Nice to have a forum where people can stop me from making bad decisions.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
FD meshify S2 case

(4x8) g.skill tridentz

Corsair hydro 150i (360 rad placed at the top I guess)

Top radiator 120/240/360 mm, 140/280/420 mm (max 35 mm motherboard component height->seems to apply to aio coolers that use 140mm fans)
Might well be that the tridentz get in the way of the cooler, but you could also put it in the front of the case.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020
Might well be that the tridentz get in the way of the cooler, but you could also put it in the front of the case.

How would the ram get in the way of the cooler?
The cooler isn't above the ram, or am I wrong?
Or do you mean the "pump wires", or whatever they're called?

if it's the pump wires, can't I just turn it away from the ram or does it not work like that?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How would the ram get in the way of the cooler?
The cooler isn't above the ram, or am I wrong?
I get it.
The taller ram can get in the way because it's sticking too far out.
The radiator and its fans are like a ceiling fan, in a sense, with the Trident Z being a piece of furniture...
Trident Z is 44mm tall. Naked ram is 31mm.
So if the max is 35mm... the Trident Z is just a bit too tall, and you're forced to use low profile memory for a top radiator mount.

Jun 7, 2020
The radiator and its fans are like a ceiling fan, in a sense, with the Trident Z being a piece of furniture...
Trident Z is 44mm tall. Naked ram is 31mm.
So if the max is 35mm... the Trident Z is just a bit too tall, and you're forced to use low profile memory for a top radiator mount.

I don't get it lol, how is the ram getting in the way of the radiator? o.o

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't get it lol, how is the ram getting in the way of the radiator? o.o
The radiator + fans hangs down into the chassis, right?
The ram protrudes from the side, right?
The Meshify S2's maximum clearance for top mounted radiators is 35mm.
The height of naked ram is 31mm.
The Trident Z ram is 44mm.

Whether you top mount the H150i as push or pull, the cooler is going to run into the ram while you're trying to install it and not fit.
Even if for some reason you tried to install the cooler first, and then the ram, you wouldn't be able to do it that way either.
Low profile ram is needed for top mounted radiators in this chassis.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Whether you top mount the H150i as push or pull, the cooler is going to run into the ram while you're trying to install it and not fit.
Even if for some reason you tried to install the cooler first, and then the ram, you wouldn't be able to do it that way either.
Don't think so in this case, seems that the mounting points for 120mm are offset so more to the opposite side of the case, opposite from the motherboard tray, was what i tried to explain. Think it will be fine and even if not can the cooler be mounted at the front.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Don't think so in this case, seems that the mounting points for 120mm are offset so more to the opposite side of the case, opposite from the motherboard tray, was what i tried to explain. Think it will be fine and even if not can the cooler be mounted at the front.
Ok, I think I got it this time:
  • Top radiator

120/240/360 mm, 140/280/420 mm (max 35 mm motherboard component height)
The note in parentheses only refers to the 140mm sizes, so the H150i should fit up top.

Jun 7, 2020
The radiator + fans hangs down into the chassis, right?
The ram protrudes from the side, right?
The Meshify S2's maximum clearance for top mounted radiators is 35mm.
The height of naked ram is 31mm.
The Trident Z ram is 44mm.

ah, I just looked it up, had no idea that would ever be a problem.
I don't even know what to say, that's so random.

A solution could be to get a 280 radiator and place it away from the motherboard and then just having 2x fans above the motherboard, that should work I guess.

Or just find smaller ram, but it's hard to find small ram with good timings (I haven't found any)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
There are no smaller than aio coolers with 120mm fans. And no looking at it wil the 360 aio be fine since placed more away from the motherboard, about 20mm which is the difference betwen 120mm and 140mm fans.

Like i said it could be mounted in the front if necessary or look for a good aircooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cred1ble

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
ah, I just looked it up, had no idea that would ever be a problem.
I don't even know what to say, that's so random.

A solution could be to get a 280 radiator and place it away from the motherboard and then just having 2x fans above the motherboard, that should work I guess.

Or just find smaller ram, but it's hard to find small ram with good timings (I haven't found any)
Forget what I said earlier, I was on the right track, but the restriction applies only to the 140/280/420mm units.
There's no problem with mounting the H150i up top if you want.

Reactions: Cred1ble and Vic 40